[IP] Re: A wonderful husband

So often we spend so much time writing about ourselves we forget the ones
who are our soulmates and responsible for keeping us healthy, helping us
through difficult times and most likely saving us many times over.

I originally met my husband when I was in Grade 12.  We only dated for two
months but during that time he had his mother (a nurse) explain diabetes,
he read a book called "The Diabetic Woman", and always had fig newtons and
juice boxes in the car when we went on dates.

Almost to the day I developed severe absorption problems, and over twleve
years after our brief dating in high school we met again.  I had seen many
others in the time since we first dated and immediately realized what a
truly wonderful person he was.  He never places any guilt upon me when my
health interferes.  He always helps me when I get down about life.  He is
continually calm and reassuring when I am low and he has never raised his
voice to me in frustration.  He has cleaned up after me when I have gotten
so low that I have thrown up (all over him as well).  He has a wonderful
way of telling me to focus on getting better if my sugar is low.  He would
rather have me remain healthy without complications, rather than have
another child.  He always tells me I am beautiful, even when I awoke in the
hospital in New Orleans, on the first night of our honeymoon, pale as a
ghost, bruised veins, covered in sweat, matted hair ---- after a horrendous
low and ambulance attendants using my arms as pincushions attempting to
insert IV's for glucose.

Although my parents are not so calm as my husband - they have all of the
same attributes.  I tell all of them how much they mean to me -
continually.

My husband's strength and compassion are a treasure to me.

I hope some of your will share the wonderful ways of your soulmates and
friends.

PJB in Niagara Falls

----------
> From: Charles Lipe <email @ redacted>
> To: email @ redacted
> Subject: Re: [IP] Hypo Horrors
> Date: Monday, June 15, 1998 11:38 PM

Lori,
My hypos have always been horrors, too. Usually, just waking up fussing
at my wonderful husband for taking care of me. I always feel so bad for
that and for whatever I did that "caused" the hypo. (I can relate to
some of the posts about the awful-tasting concoctions though). Wonder
what makes us so irritable at the one person in the world who cares the
most, and wonder why they don't quit caring after that kind of
treatment? I always have to apologize profusely and thank him afterward.
Seems like I used to treat my mom the same way, but I think moms have to
keep caring anyway.
Oh well, I have really enjoyed others' stories! What a shame I just
don't remember any of my own.
Melinda

to the e-mail address: email @ redacted