Re: [IP] The Railway landscape and the Insulin Pump>

John:

Thank you for the encouragement regarding my switch to MDDI and the
conversion factor.  I am a Landscape Architect by profession and very
comfortable with the use of the metric system of our Queen.  Converting
between scales and measurements in Imperial is tedious and frustrating.
Our friends to the south of Canada will never admit the advantage of the
metric system!!!

I am on Humalog and Ultralente rather than NPH.  Almost two weeks have
passed and I do admit I enjoy the freedom of not being attached, am wearing
those things that could not be worn while on the pump, and seriously
considering if the gigantic investment in a new pump is the right choice.

Remembering to inject and finding the perfect mix of insulins is like some
complicated high school chemistry experiment but so far I am up for the
challenge.  Even the many needles per day isn't bothering me yet.  I am
tempted to do one of those home absoprtion tests to see where I stand. (not
that a home test is sold, I just figured out how to do one based on what
was done in the hospital).  One thing I do miss is the freedom to eat or
not to eat.  This way of insulin therapy does require a fairly regimented
schedule and I dare not miss even one snack.  I find the thought of losing
consciousness terrifying as this hasn't happened in almost eight years.

Regards,

PJB

----------
> From: John Neale <email @ redacted>
> To: Pumpers <email @ redacted>
> Subject: Re: [IP] The Railway landscape and the Insulin Pump>
> Date: Tuesday, June 16, 1998 7:30 AM
>
> I have
> been on a Mini-Med 504 for seven years and just recently had the pump's
> internal baterry fail.  I was told by Mini-Med to purchase a new or
> refurbished pump.  The high cost now leaves me wondering if I should go
> back to syinge and multiple injection therapy.  I have been doing this as
> test for about a week and have had decent results.  Remembering to inject
> and to bring insulin with me when I go out is hard though.  My delayed
> absorption problem, the reason I first went on the pump, no longer seems
> bea problem.

Paula,

Keep us informed of how you get on with MDI. People who stop using pumps
tend to "dissappear" from the scene. It's always useful to see how you
find life changes when you're on injections again.

The absorbtion problems may slowly creep up on you again, as your body
builds up resistance to NPH, although if it works for the time being,
that's great.

John
--
mailto:email @ redacted