Iona, one thing you might check that was once a problem for me is the
connection of the tubing to the syringe.  I find that this has to be
tightened pretty tightly or some insulin can leak.   And this doesn't
always show when you are running the pump not yet connected to the catheter
to fill the tubing and dead space after putting the syringe in the pump.
Since the tubing end is wide open during the priming, there is  not enough
resistance to cause a leak at the connection at the pump end.  But when the
tubing is connected at the catheter, there is enough resistance to make
insulin leak at the connection.  It is not easy to spot this leak, but the
solution is simple enough.  Just make certain that the luer connection to
the syringe is very tight.

<<<<<<<<<<From: email @ redacted

Hi guys:

Haven't "talked" to you lately, but have one of those mysteries of "where did
all that insulin go"?  Yesterday, refilled reservoir and went on my merry way.
But, all day my blood sugars seemed rather high, so kept bolusing and eating
no carbs to speak of.  At lunch time the BG reading was 378, by dinner it had
dropped to the high 200's.  Just before bedtime, 195, so bolused a couple of
units.  Sometime in the middle of the night, had to go to bathroom and had
developed sharp pains in the upper middle of my back, tested my blood - 455!
Gave myself an injection, drank a lot of water and went back to bed.  At 7:30
A.M. BG was still 275.  Tested for ketones .... none.  Just checked pump
again, and the end of reservoir was in front of, rather than between those two
little arms.  According to the pump, I used 77 units of insulin yesterday.  So
what the heck happened to all that insulin?

Have any of you had those sharp pains in the middle of the back.  This isn't
the first time.  What is it?  Appreciate any and all imput.

Wayne Mitzner
615 N. Wolfe St.
Baltimore, MD 21205
Tel. 410 614 5446