[IP] Re: Low Blood Sugars

I have had diabetes for over thirty years, since I was three so I have had
more than one episode of low blood sugars.  One of the most embarassing
happened before I was on the pump.

While working in Toronto on a work term for university, I was staying at
friends of my parents.  Their daughter was also away at school so I stayed
in her room.  Her brother , Jimmy, was in the room next to mine.  At the
time, I had a severe insulin absorption problem, that took me almost two
years to figure out, and was only solved by going on the pump.  I would
lose consciousness from low sugars unpredictable, quickly, and without
warning.  At about nine o'clock I felt tired and laid down in bed.  Some
time later I was soaking wet and had Jimmy and his mom trying to get sugar
into me.  I had my bedroom door shut and they must have heard the moaning.
His mom, being a nurse, knew what to do.  After a while, they got me to
come around.  This was not the embarrasing part.

Earlier in the evening, I had put a load of laundry in the washer and
before it was finished, had the reaction.  In that load was my nightgown.
I guess I went to bed, totally naked and that is how they found me.  I
vaguely remember Jimmy's mom, carefully removing the soaking wet bedding
and at the same time slipping a t- shirt over me.  I hardly knew these
people.

When I have more time I will relay another story - this one is about the
first night of my honeymoon in New Orleans.

PJB in Niagara Falls

----------
> From: email @ redacted
> To: email @ redacted
> Subject: Re: [IP] Cataract Surgery
> Date: Friday, June 12, 1998 11:59 PM

Meshell,
I had cataract surgery in 1993 and again on April 16th of this year.  My
first
experience was by far the best.  The first doc gave me versed (sp?) which
wipes out all memory of what they are doing to you.  It was a wonderful
experience with no problems with blood sugars.   My surgery this year was
very
different.  No versed.  I was given valium orally and about 15 minutes
later
the doctor cam and gave me an injection in the eye to numb it.  That was
unbelievably painful.  So, ask your doctor how he will do it and what
anesthesia he uses.  I've never heard of them putting a person out for
cataract surgery.  Recovery the first time was a breeze.  This year's
surgery
has not been good.  My vision is lousy and the doctor's first comment was
"It
must be a problem with your diabetes"  GRRRR!  I hate that attitude.  , So,
like a "good" patient, I went and had an angiogram done to prove there was
no
problem with my retina, even though the retina doc said it would be a waste
of
my money.  I'm now waiting to see what the surgeon says when I go back to
see
him.  I'm convinced he used the wrong implant on my cuz my distance vision
is
lousy.  Sorry to go on so long, but this really has me ticked.
Cataract surgery should be a breeze.  Just ask your surgeon how he'll do it
and fully understand.  Good Luck.
Beth
send the next two lines in a message
info