Re: [IP] Accu-Chek Complete

At 06/14/1998 - 08:47 PM Michael Maturen wrote:
>Not to defend Accucheck, but the American Diabetes Association says that
>a variation of +/- 20% is acceptable.

20% is quite a lot. I might react (no pun intended) quite differently with
a reading of 80 than I would with one of 64.... or a reading that said 200
vs 160. However, if I knew that my readings were always ~20% low, then I
could easily compensate. The real danger is if it could randomly vary
anywhere from 20% below to 20% above. Then IMHO the readings in this
situation would be pretty much useless. As an example, if my actual BG was
100, the meter could give me any value between 80 and 120 and still be
within ADA tolerances. If I were about to embark on some strenuous exercise
I'd need to know which end of the spectrum it really was at, or risk going

>There are some meters that will typically read in a much tighter range
>than that.

If we are going to depend on our meters to make informed decisions, I think
we need to know how tight that range is and where it stands in relationship
to some known standard. Having access to this information would make a
major impact on my decision as to which meter to purchase.

>You must also take into account that some meters are calibrated to
>report as whole blood, and some are calibrated to report as
>plasma/serum.  Whole blood reads 12% lower than plasma/serum.  Most
>doctors base their treatment on plasma/serum values.

I know about these different types of measurements... and it doesn't bother
me as long as I know which one they are using. Once again, I believe that
consistency is more important than absolute accuracy. I truly wish that the
tested relative accuracy and variability (in plain understandable language)
was posted on every meter and/or box of strips. ("Truth in blood

(now getting off his soapbox...)

send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted