[IP] re: glycosylated hemoglobin....

Just to add to the thread on HbA1c's - realize that the process of
glycosylation ("sticking" of sugar to proteins in the body) happens to some
degree in EVERYONE - with & without diabetes.  In fact, it is the basis of
one of the theories of aging.... (which means that I *SHOULDN'T* be getting
CARDED at restaurants anyMORE!, but alas... ;)  - hence the "normal" range
HbA1C (typically 3.9 - 5.7%), with some variability between labs.  SO,
while having lows doesn't cancel out the highs, what this does mean is that
having some degree of lows, particularly sustained, CAN & does actually
have an effect on the "normal range" process of glycosylation.  The problem
being that it is, as we all know, quite dangerous... and this *most
definately* should NOT be our goal.  In essence, having lots of lows and in
turn a lower HbA1c as a result, is not truly representative of what *we*
would consider good self-management then.

	By the way, there IS a point in the biochemical process of glycosylation
(& I have NO idea but would love to know - how big that "window" is...)
that acute lowering of a high blood sugar actually *REVERSES* the process &
hence BLOCKS the end products (blocks the actually cementing of the sugar
to the protein molecule).  That reversible componenet is called a "Schiff's
base" - (if I am remembering this correctly..... did my thesis research on
this *interesting* topic  <hint of comical sarcasm>.  <grin!>  I do also
remember that there was (& hopefully still is) much research ongoing about
how to "block" the formation of these final products by interfering at this
"reversible" stage..... thereby blocking the development of complications!
Anyone know or heard of where this research is?   The point being, a high
that is quickly & correctly addressed may not complete the glycosylation
reaction.  The intensive monitoring that goes along with pumping makes
complete & total sense in this attempt to attain "normalcy".  I used to
*HATE* to test... but I have to admit that now, it is a whole different
ballgame.  It makes sense when you know what to do with what you see... and
what you see is not as bad as it used to be!   :)  Keep up the good work

send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted