Re: [IP] I need help with the silhouette

At 03:08 PM 6/13/98 -0400, Cindy wrote:

>I just got a free sample of the sihouette from MiniMed.  I want to try it on
>my next site change.  For those of you on the sihouette can you give me
>pointers on how to do it.  I have the instruction sheet but thought it might
>help to hear from those of you that use it.  I currently use the regular sof-
>sets.  I used to use bent needles.  Does it go in at the same angle as the
>bent needle.  Thanks in advance for you help.

One of the tricks I learned early with these sets is to insert them at a
shallow angle. Since you've used the bent needles before, use them as a
reference. Don't insert the Silhouette at an angle any greater than the
bent needle set. In fact, you can get by with an angle almost 1/2 that
shown in the diagram - it works out to about 15 - 20 degrees.

Of course, YMMV and depth of insertion will vary from user to user. Amount
of sub cutaneous real estate, etc. all affect how deep you can go, but this
guideline has helped many a user get started with these sets.

Also note that you don't need to insert the cannula all the way up to the
base. You can do just fine inserting about 3/4 the length of the cannula,
leaving approximately a "smidgen more" than 1/8 inch above the skin. This
helps lessen the bend in the cannula once you get the set anchored down.
Try holding a finger flat on top of the set when you are removing the
insertion needle, holding it gently against your skin. This helps prevent
moving the set around before the needle is removed.

Oh, the other thing I learned is you *do* have to keep your eyes open when
you insert the set ;-) The length of the thing looks imposing, but it is
generally a very comfortable insertion.

Good luck - holler if you need to.

Bob Burnett

mailto:email @ redacted