Re: [IP] Silhouette disconnecting

Congratulations on your first week pumping. I'm tempted to be corny and say
"congratulations on the first week of the rest of your life" ;-)

>When I disconnect my Silhouette (to take a shower, etc.), I suspend my pump
>right after I disconnect. However, I've noticed that it takes about 0.3-0.4
>units until insulin starts flowing again from the tubing end when its time
>to reconnect. Does anyone else do this? After reconnecting, do I also need
>to bolus any extra insulin to make sure that everything is flowing all
>through the infusion set?

Not sure what pump you use (sounds like the MiniMed), but I never suspend /
stop mine (I use a Disetronic). I'm not in the shower that long. This also
saves a bit on batteries, since the pump doesn't beep to remind me it's in
Stop mode.

When you disconnect, try placing the pump on a shelf higher than the end of
the disconnect - in other words, let the tubing hang down. "Gravity" will
keep the insulin at the end of the disconnect - you might notice a drip at
the end. However, if you place the pump / tubing on the same level, you'll
see that a small bubble forms at the disconnect end when you are ready to
hook back up. If you experiment, you'll see the bubble get bigger when you
hold the disconnect higher than the pump. Remember this basic fact, and it
can help troubleshoot those pesky bubbles that form at the disconnect piece.

Before I connect back up, I bolus about 2 units (depends how big this
bubble is), hold the pump higher than the disconnect, and wait for the drop
to form. When the bolus is done, I hook back up with no bubble problems ;-)
It's not necessary to bolus when connected again, unless you've missed some
of your basal delivery. There should not be any bubble inside the cannula
caused by disconnecting.

Good luck and welcome to the club ;-)

Bob Burnett

mailto:email @ redacted