Re: [IP] being held hostage

Hi Mary Jean,

The man with diabetes that was held hostage in Iran is Robert Polhill.
He was held hostage for 1,182 days.

Your message brought to mind an article about him so I looked it up.
The article was in the September 1990 "Diabetes Forecast" (pp. 20-27).
It was written by Robert Polhill, himself.

He stated in one place in that article that "few concessions were made
for medical conditions -- mine or anyone else's."

You could probably get a copy of the article from the ADA (American
Diabetes Association) or maybe even your library.

<< Do you all remember the hostage crisis in Iran during the early
80's?  Six
Americans were held hostage for several years, among them, the now
Terry Anderson.  One of the hostages was from my home town, so we got a
dose of news locally on the subject. He was among the last three to be

A third hostage had type 1 diabetes.  I read an interview with him after
was released.  Apparently, he was able to communicate to his captors
that he
had diabetes and needed insulin.  They brought him syringes and a bottle
insulin but he had no means to do any blood testing and of course, you
imagine that the diet was "less than ideal".  They would bring him sodas
if he
went low, after his fellow hostages yelled and screamed for the guards.
men (the other hostages) really helped him look out for his health.  I
remember him telling of having to BEG for a new bottle of insulin when
the old
one ran out.  The guards wanted him to use every last drop in the bottle
before they would bring him a new one.  He was not the first to be
but was released earlier than some of the others, probably due to health
concerns.  I think the guards got tired of having to deal with the
Anyway, when the doctors examined him afterwards, they found that he
amazingly, in pretty good shape; despite not being able to test his
blood and
only guess at his insulin needs for so long.  (I think it was well over
year, but I don't remember the exact length of time.)

I remind myself of this man when I get discouraged about the day to day
drudgery of diabetes care.  It could be worse...

Mary Jean >>

		If your Bible is in good shape ...
		Your life probably isn't!

E-Mail - mailto:email @ redacted