Re: [IP] about my step daughter (Rachel-13)

Annette Sines wrote:
> Hi! This is to Renee and to Michael
> I wanted to let you know that I would love to get Rachel on an insulin
> pump, but I am only the step-mom. I feel like my hands are tied. My
> husband said we will talk it over again with her mother. I guess
> Rachel's doctor didn't want her to have one for a while. Apparently they
> want her to get a good feel of how to manage it with the shots first. I
> don't understand why.

It's considered to be good training. If it works fairly well to take shots
it may be decided not toget a pump, but taking shots also gets her used to
what effect changing schedules and other variations have on her tests. If
nothing else it will make her appreciate how much better the pump is for her.

> My Grandfather is also a type 1 Diabetic but I honestly don't think he
> could handle all of the mechanisms and dealing with a pump. He has had a
> stroke and has a hard time remembering things. He doesn't write his
> sugars down or anything. He does have really good sugars though. His
> doctor put him on some drug with his insulin. I can't remember what it
> is called, but it evidently makes your insulin work better for you or
> something like that.

Sounds like Metformin, but maybe not.

Anyway, Rachel lives with her mother full time in
> UT and I guess what she says goes. Her mother does have the internet and
> I've been tempted to send her the insulin pumpers homepage. I am kind of
> new to the internet and am not sure if that is considered spam or not.

Not really. Spam is when somebody is trying to sell you something, does not
recommending a list that you think they could learn from. Just limit it to 1
message, being annoying wouldn't help anything.

 I am still not sure how to reply
> to this list.

You did fine. It's not really hard to do, just takes a time or 2 to feel

Is it o.k. to send messages to the e-mail listed on the
> messages?

Sure, especially if you only want to talk to someone privately for some
reason. We list our e-mail addresses so you CAN respond privately if you wish.

Ted Quick
email @ redacted
Type 1 for 42+ years, MM506 pump with Humalog
send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted