[IP] TinaTheriotprofile

  Hi, Tina! Welcome to the "family". It's good to know there is
someoneelse out there from Louisiana! I'm from Luling!!!! Been
diabetic for 26 yrs, am going to be older this year(gulp-47), but feel
like I'm 20 or 30 something. You willlearn a lot, make new friends,
and Definately no longer feel ALONE!  My daughter saw someone  at
Hibernia bank the other day who was also a pumper!! Lives in LaPlace.

     Once again, welcome. You can Email me privately if you'd like and
we can talk local stuff, then share with the rest of the group!!
        Bye for now,
         Barb G.        ---insulin-pumpers-digest
<email @ redacted> wrote:

> insulin-pumpers-digest     Thursday, June 11 1998     Volume 02 :
Number 347

> [...]
> info
> end
> to the e-mail address: email @ redacted
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 06:39:01 EDT
> From: email @ redacted
> Subject: Re: [IP] Pump Related?
>
> Laurel:
>     Get thee to a good dermatologist ASAP!!...May be absolutely
nothing, but
> having worked for a phenomenal dermatologist for 4 yrs, I saw LOTS
of  "skin
> things" that she was able to resolve very quickly after "family
docs" had
> fooled around with ineffective treatments for months....
>
> Regards, Renee
> send the next two lines in a message
> info
> end
> to the e-mail address: email @ redacted
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 07:01:58 EDT
> From: email @ redacted
> Subject: Re: [IP] Not about pumping, but amusing.
>
> Kasey:
>     "Needle parties in the bathroom"!!!...Hmmmm, goes along with our
"tea
> parties" at 3:00 a.m. when Melissa wakes up low...This is such a FUN
disease-
> NOT!!!
>     How well I remember my "balancing act" in a bathroom stall
trying to draw
> up an NPH and R shot without a)dropping the bottles on the tile
floor b)
> misjudging the amount by the light from a 25 watt bulb or c) better
yet,
> forgetting that I WASN'T sitting on the toilet seat for the "usual"
reasons!
> LOL
>
> Regards, Renee
> send the next two lines in a message
> info
> end
> to the e-mail address: email @ redacted
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 07:10:01 -0400
> From: Ted Quick <email @ redacted>
> Subject: Re: [IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V2 #345
>
> Don Francisco wrote:
> >
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I have been here for just a few days and am reading the digested
version.
> > After reading at least four days worth I come away with some
thoughts:

> > remember the Delete key.
> >
> > I have never heard a story about an "endo" that
> > had a happy ending.  To them we are all clinical cases to be treated
> > scientifically, as bodies without souls - IMHO.  I have a
co-worker with
> > an endo friend that disagrees with me rather fiercely.
>
> OK, here's 1 for you. I moved to Syracuse, NY at age 7, 2 years
after my
> diabetes was diagnosed. My Mom went looking for an endocrinologist
(or ANY
> doctor) that had a clue as to how to get me into ANYTHING
approaching control.
> Mind you, this WAS before home glucose meters.
>
> Anyway, she found the best endocrinologist in town was Dr. Arthur
Dube. He
> didn't want to take me on as a patient, he preffered Type 2's. Mom
kept
> pushing till he finally decided to help.
>
> He then spent 3 or 4 years trying EVERY combination of insulins and
diet
> to get me in at least general control, with only occasional periods
when
> I was stable for a while. He always treted me with great consideration
> and kept trying. In '62 he decided to give his less controlled Type 1s
> a new pill in addition to insulin, known as DBI (Phenformin). I
straightened
> out incredibly, and became his model patient. This is an endo that
REALLY
> [...]
> >diabetes was diagnosed. My Mom went looking for an endocrinologist
(or ANY
> >doctor) that had a clue as to how to get me into ANYTHING approaching
> control.
> >Mind you, this WAS before home glucose meters.
> >
> >Anyway, she found the best endocrinologist in town was Dr. Arthur
Dube. He
> >didn't want to take me on as a patient, he preffered Type 2's. Mom
kept
> >pushing till he finally decided to help.
> >
> >He then spent 3 or 4 years trying EVERY combination of insulins and
diet
> >to get me in at least general control, with only occasional periods
when
> >I was stable for a while. He always treted me with great
consideration
> >and kept trying. In '62 he decided to give his less controlled Type
1s
> >a new pill in addition to insulin, known as DBI (Phenformin). I
straightened
> >out incredibly, and became his model patient. This is an endo that
REALLY
> >does more than anybody could expect for his patients, including
caring for
> >feelings.
> >
> <snip>
> >
> >SO, yes, there ARE good endos who do everything possible for us,
including
> >feelings. They may be rare, but very much prized.
> >

> Ted, this really caught my eye. I was a patient of the same endo you
found
> to be such a good partner. I saw him for several years at the Diabetes
> clinic which he headed up.
>
> I found him to be extremely knowledgeable, very competent (as far as I
> could tell), and very well thought of in the medical community. Yet, I
> could *not* work with him. Our relationship just didn't "gel"
properly.
> Because something was missing in this relationship, I couldn't
seriously
> consider anything he told me. The endo was "good", but that was not
helping
> me.
>
> This bothered the hell out of me, because everyone kept telling me
how good
> an endo he was. It was easy for me to start down the "self doubt"
path. You
> might have been down that path, so many of us have ... Goes
something like:
> "There is obviously something wrong with me, because I'm the only one
> feeling this way". That doesn't do good things for your diabetes
> management, and you end up in a frustrating cycle.
>
> I'll admit that I was not the "easiest" person to work with (I still
feel
> this way at times ;-)). I was stubborn enough though, to realize
that a
> good partnership was an effective way to deal with this disease.
What I
> really needed was a good partner, someone who could put up with my
> limitations and frailties, someone who I could "gel" with.

=== message truncated ===