Don Francisco wrote:
> Hello all,
> I have been here for just a few days and am reading the digested version.
> After reading at least four days worth I come away with some thoughts:
> remember the Delete key.
> I have never heard a story about an "endo" that
> had a happy ending.  To them we are all clinical cases to be treated
> scientifically, as bodies without souls - IMHO.  I have a co-worker with
> an endo friend that disagrees with me rather fiercely.

OK, here's 1 for you. I moved to Syracuse, NY at age 7, 2 years after my
diabetes was diagnosed. My Mom went looking for an endocrinologist (or ANY
doctor) that had a clue as to how to get me into ANYTHING approaching control.
Mind you, this WAS before home glucose meters.

Anyway, she found the best endocrinologist in town was Dr. Arthur Dube. He
didn't want to take me on as a patient, he preffered Type 2's. Mom kept
pushing till he finally decided to help.

He then spent 3 or 4 years trying EVERY combination of insulins and diet
to get me in at least general control, with only occasional periods when
I was stable for a while. He always treted me with great consideration
and kept trying. In '62 he decided to give his less controlled Type 1s
a new pill in addition to insulin, known as DBI (Phenformin). I straightened
out incredibly, and became his model patient. This is an endo that REALLY
does more than anybody could expect for his patients, including caring for

He has retired now, but when I last moved back to Syracuse (for the 4th
time, mmostly to get back to him), I found his son David had taken over
the practice, and is very much like his father.

SO, yes, there ARE good endos who do everything possible for us, including
feelings. They may be rare, but very much prized.

Ted Quick
send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted