[IP] Silouhette was ouchy--what am I doing wrong?

Hi, All:

I was very anxious to try the Silhouettes that so many have raved about, so
I sent for some samples from MiniMed.  Tried one today, but was
disappointed.  The insertion itself didn't produce much sensation, but
getting hold of the piece that contained the introducer needle and removing
it was reminiscent of having a lab tech rooting around in my arm trying to
find the vein!

Perhaps I inserted the needle too deeply.  I put it in most of the way
because it didn't seem like a good idea to have part of the cannula
exposed.  All the while wondering if there isn't there a problem with the
30 degree bend in the cannula once you have withdrawn the needle.

This was right in the center of my tummy where there was plenty of padding.
 It kept hurting even when I wasn't touching it, and hurt worse when I was.
 I tried lying down on my tummy in bed and couldn't feel it, but when I
huggy my hubby, it was a definite, rather uncomfortable, presence.

After an hour-and-a-half, I said, "enough" and yanked it.  Replaced it with
a familiar SofSet (which--oh great!--may turn out to be too close to my

Is my experience a common one to those new to the Silhouette?  I'm not shy
about trying another (MiniMed sent me 3), but I'd like to have a better
experience the next time.  Advice appreciated!

--Laurel (pumping with a MM 507 since 5/15/98)

send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted