Re: [IP] Waiting to see an endo

>Have just recently read some of your posts.  I was going to an
>internist(for 17 years I might add and feeling lousy)..Anyway,found out
>about the pump,which he said that I would regret for the rest of my life
>(NOT!!!)...researched and found the BEST endo in the area.  I told him
>that I wanted a referral, which he gave me, because he wanted to refer me
>to someone else...to make a long story short, I had to wait for 4 months
>to even be seen.  I have to tell you it was well worth the wait.  I have a
>GEM of a doctor and a great diabetes team, that all work together..!!!!
>As a matter of fact had an appt yesterday and my A1C is coming down (6.7)
>the best yet and everything else, perfect....I attribute this to my pump
>and my Team.....I feel better than I ever have in my life....I'm so proud
>to say that I've made it....after 33 years with diabetes I'm healthier
>than ever...if anything takes me...IT'S NOT GOING TO BE
>DIABETES........the reason I wrote this is to tell you to hang in
>there......it'll be worth the wait...I PROMISE......
>I, for one am pulling for you.......
>feel free to write me privately if you wish.......

Rhonda!  Glad to see this post!  I'm planing to keep pushing.  Your story
sounds like mine.  It took me 23 years to get to an endo who recognised the
need to have a 24 hour basal!  Although I never checked for ketones; I'm
sure I spent most of my life with kedoacidosis for 6 hours each day.
Physically i feel like crap and I attribute much of this, like you, to the
wild bg swings caused when the basal insulin is not as active vs. when it
is "peaking".

My logic is simply that I have done everything I can with regulating short
acyting insulin so now it's time to regulate the long acting.  Of course;
I'm just a patient and therefore must be ignorant.

After a year of consideration it is my belief that I am doomed unless I can
get a pump (or find a way to regulate the basal insulin more often than
once in 12 hours.  I'd liek to at ;east be given the chance to be proven
wrong.  What PO's me is that the system is working to try and deny me a
"choice" in treatment.

Perhaps I'll buy a stepper motor and some plywood and make my own pump....

Darrin Parker
email @ redacted   Nova Scotia, Canada!

Check out:  http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Spa/4750/intro.htm  and go
FORWARD to "The Article".