Re: [IP] Not allowed to see an endo about a pump for 5 months

>Darrin Parker wrote:
>> Unfortunately in Canada this is illegal.  People cannot "choose" to pay in
>> order to see who they wish for healthcare.  This is illegal 'cause it is
>> considered discrimination against those who cannot afford to pay for faster
>> or better healthcare.  The result is that those who do have the money go to
>> the US for their major medical care.
>Wow! Is that really so? You're saying it's illegal for a doctor to offer
>medical advice to a patient in return for money, at a time and place
>which suits them both? Who elects the governments that make these rules?
>Yes, there must be a safety net to help those who have little money. But
>in practice that makes up a small part of the population. More important
>is the choice we have over how we spend our money. Some chose nice
>holidays, others fancy cars, others extra tution for their children. Why
>shouldn't you be allowed to purchase medical advice?

Doctors may not charge the patient for their services.  Some offcies have a
small fee for phoning in perscriptions but as far as hanging a shingle
which says:  "Endrocrinology is Us"  Walk-ins welcome; pay at desk"; this
is illegal.  All medical appointmnets outside of your GP must be by referal
only and then you usually have to take whichever doc you are referred to.

Well, us Canadians don't like to make a stir so we keep electing the same
people; althoughh this is slowly changing.  I haev doem some research on
medical systems and IMO the Singapore model is the best.  There are two
medical industries:  A public one for everyone and a private one for those
who wish to pay for faster or more extensive services.  Now, I do
disagrore's ban on all chewing gum in the country!

Darrin Parker
email @ redacted   Nova Scotia, Canada!

Check out:  http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Spa/4750/intro.htm  and go
FORWARD to "The Article".