[IP] RE: How long?

Debbie wrote:
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 1998 10:44:18 -0500
From: "Debbie Scales" <email @ redacted>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re Feeling Sorry !!! Not me.
Hey Buddy,
I remember that you have been diabetic for a very long time, but I don't
remember if you have ever mentioned if you have any complications. Do you
mind me asking if you do?
Thanks, Debbie,
    38 years 10 months and 6 days I have been taking insulin. That is just
roughly guessing. LOL. And yes I do have some complications. I have had 3
heart attacks, angioplasti with stints, retinopathy with lasers 6 times, one
being a "grid laser treatment" if you have been through that with a "block".
This is really fun too! Neuropathy (sp?) coughs, colds, sore holes, fits
farts and freckles! But I am still handsome as ever and most of my family
and friends are not ashamed to be seen with me in public. You know, being
diabetic and all. Ha.
    I also have to wear corrective lenses and my wife has to correct my
spelling when she is sitting behind me here in my closet that they keep me
and my computer in. They do let me go out doors but only on odd numbered
days. I think it is on the odd numbered days. . . .  I can't remember, maybe
it is the even ones. I also get the "vapors" pretty regular but I think that
might be from all the salad I eat! I do eat a lot of salad. I still manage
to gain weight though. I have not broke 200 pounds yet but with this
wonderful little 507 I am working on it.
    I have lost a lot of brain cells, according to a doctor or two, that is
caused from BG crashes, or so I am told. Since I will turn 51 on Flag Day I
have a right to be a little forgetful these days. Huh? I can't function like
I could in the days when I was able to work for a living but I have been
spoiled by a few people in the recent past and I must admit I have enjoyed
it a little.
    There is nothing that bothers me though like the low down depression
that overtakes all of us at one time or another. It will kill you if you let
it. Since I have been on the pump and kept my BG's as close to normal as I
can. . . . . that has not been a big problem. I am very sensitive to this
problem as I have had one real close diabetic friend that self destructed
just a little over a year ago and I know exactly how he felt. You can't let
this disease get you down.
    I appreciate all my good friends here. . . . . . .  Rhonda, you
especially. Cindy, Mary Jean, Barbara. I know the pain and frustration that
comes from being a diabetic. I have been practicing a long time. I have
proved though that you can lead a near normal life and still get around on
your own two feet after almost 40 years. With the pump now you youngsters
may out live the "normal" people! LOL. Anything is possible! Ask Ted and
Bob, I think both of them have dealt with this longer than I have and look
at them. They are a lot smarter than I . . . .  .they know when to stay
quiet. I was never like this until I was Dx'ed. Ha
    I love the pump. No two ways about it. I'll defend it to the death. All
young'uns with "the sugar" ought to get one! Made a world of difference in
my life! Example: I met all of you sweet people! Live long and prosper!
    BTW. BG is 114.

Love ya,

Buddy '-)   email @ redacted

send the next two lines in a message