Re: [IP] Another Newbie with questions

On  5 Jun 98 at 22:55, Cindy Arrowood wrote:

> Hello to all. I wanted to announce my pump birthday-May 26th, 1998. So far,
> it has been a challenge. I've had some lows which are my BIG fear. I'm a
> little frustrated 'cause I expected that my CDE/endo clinic would be doing
> things pretty much the "Pumping Insulin" way, but it seems their systems
> are a little more hit and miss. I've told the two CDE's I've worked with
> about this list and I know one of them checked it out. My primary nurse is
> interested in revising their policies and  may use my case as a prototype.

Happy Assimilation Day!  Welcome to the collective - a lot of the
pump setup seems to be trial and error, with emphasis on the error

> Now some newbie questions:
> 1) Does one typically suspend the pump when BG drops?

Sometimes I suspend or lower the basal rate - for example if it is
low two hours after breakfast and I'm at work I'll cut the basal rate
by half for an hour.  It's pretty much a "try it and see if it works"
deal - I eat three sugar tabs and cut the basal rate and it usually
works for me.  Key words are "usually" and "for me"

> 2)Anybody out there manage OK with just carb counting and label reading, as
> opposed to weighing? If so, any tips (ie: I know I read somewhere something
> like "one serving is as much as you can hold in your hand" or something
> doofy like that)

I estimate and read labels.  Hardly ever weigh anything...  After
some experimentation you can get proper bolus amounts for favorite or
routine meals at restaurants too, without having to know the exact
carb counts.

Hope you do well, and remember the key things about pump therapy:

1. It is best done with a strong sense of humor and irony,
2. Don't take yourself to seriously,
3. Don't take the rest of us too seriously,
4. Have some faith in yourself and your adaptability and
5. If you are a person of faith, remember your spiritual center and
pray for patience, wisdom and compassion (for yourself and those
around you)
6. Keep unused insulin vials refrigerated
7. Always keep a spare set of batteries and an extra infusion set
8. Laugh frequently and deeply - at yourself, the world, those of us
among the collective,  and whatever else strikes your attention.
9. Smile at children, especially those with handicaps or other
disadvantages.  Try to improve their lot and you'll find your own
becomes simpler.
10.  Don't worry about tomorrow - for it has enough
worries of its own.

There are many of us who are going through this with you and your
presence helps and strengthens us too...

Now I can take off my clergy hat,close my preacher notebook, or
whatever... and just say hang in there and keep on trying!

Randall Winchester

* misunderstood something.
send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted