Re: [IP] Life with diabetes (was: feeling sorry)

At 06/06/1998 - 01:27 PM tanya cosentino wrote:
>>Date: Sat, 6 Jun 1998 09:39:51 -0700
>>To: email @ redacted
>>From: email @ redacted (Janine Shea)
>>Subject: [IP] Life with diabetes (was: feeling sorry)
>Yes, people can voice their anger, their emotions and not be judged by
>others. BUT everytime i get to my email, every other person is
>complaining or feeling sorry for themselves. I want to see more positive
>things. Should the"poor me" scenario continue, it's not worth it to be
>part of this list. We are here to help people or so i thought.

Yes, but how can we help people if we criticize them for speaking their
minds? (Saying that they're just feeling sorry for themselves is very
negative & judgmental). When people are upset, sometimes all they want is
for someone else to be there and reassure them that everything will be OK.
We can't solve everyone's problems, but as a "support" group we can (and
should) offer support.

If we all went around with smiley faces then there wouldn't be much use for
this group either. We all have problems and we express them differently.
When you deal with a group of people you have to be willing to take all
sorts of feelings. Not all will be positive. I might get upset and say all
sorts of ugly things... it doesn't mean that tomorrow I might not be
feeling much better (and probably feel bad for what I'd said earlier).

Diabetes ain't fun... but I try to take it one day at a time. Some days are
good... some days are rotten. It's like love or friendship... you take the
good with the bad and do the best you can. Some of us have been lucky so
far and haven't had to deal with the uglier side of diabetes. I often
think, though, next time it could just as easily be me. Maybe, because of
this, not wanting to hear some of this stuff is a form of denial. But like
it or not, we're all in the same boat... please, let's paddle together.

send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted