Re: [IP] highs after infusion set changes

On Sat, 6 Jun 1998 email @ redacted wrote:

> After changing Kayla's first infusion set, her blood sugar continued to rise
> for the next four hours and ended up over 400 before coming back down.  She
> uses the silhouette.  I left the old infusion set in for 3 hours after
> starting the new one and her blood sugar still went high.  I'm wondering if
> I'm not priming the canula enough.  I was told to prime a .5 unit bolus to
> fill the canula, but I think I remember a discussion about this a while back.
> Any suggestions?

Make sure you are carefully following the instructions.
1) prior to placing the syringe in the pump prime 20 - 25 units to clear
the infusion line of all air and allow insulin to drip out of end.
2) place syringe in pump and prime with a bolus of at least 5 units or
until a droplet of insulin forms at the end.
3) bolus 0.7 units to fill catheter after removing insertion needle.

Make sure you are not going to deep with the catheter, the angle should
be very shallow.

If you're already doing all that, your are doing every thing right and it
may simply be the stress involved with doing the insertion. See if you
can get her to do it or help. This will involve her more in the process
and she should be more comfortable.  Are you using some ice cubes or emla
cream to numb the site?

Good luck, I hope you are able to work out the kinks and get her bg's
closer to target

send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted