Re: [IP] Feeling Sorry

<< Maybe you got over the realization that this sucks but there are
 people who have had diabetes 11 years
 for example me who have been in denial for 11 years and just now
 realizing life will be a little shorter and maybe a little more
 complicated..... Explain to my daughter how happy her daddy should be
 running the risks of going blind, even when taking care of himself. >>

I have had diabetes 49 yrs type 1, I am 68 yrs old in good health and
for my 1st 5 yrs were as you state did not think I would live to be 40,
but still here, I was in such bad physical condition at 24, put in the
hospital 2 weeks, was told must eat correct and exercise,my eating
changed & begin an exercise program, attitude and feelings began to
improve, I have not missed anything in life due to diabetes, I camp
fish, bicycle tour as far as 575 miles 1 way, flew from atlanta, ga to
anchorage, alaska with friend in piper cub, have commercial license
to fly lighter than air (hot air ballon) was in the insurance business
40 yrs, I some times think I have been better off with diabetes as it
has required a very discplined life of which did not have before. I
think even being retired it helps as i still eat correct, exercise every
day still a very discplined life, only medicine have taken in multier
years is insulin, no sore muscle's no head ache's life can be great
if you want it to and work at it.
I have raise 5 children with help of wife and not a one of them has
ever had a question or any resersvation with the problem.
I have rode a motorcycle for yrs ride the Blue Ridge Pkwy, camp
no problems, I take 4 shots per day 60 gram carb's per meal.

Elzie D Speir Jr
send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted