Re: [IP] Not allowed to see an endo about a pump for 5 months

Howdy Darrin,

Well that is an absolutely unacceptable reply from your Dr. in Nova
Scotia, "Pumps are on the way out",  and this delayed appointment of 5
months is also bogus.  Point in fact that you can pass onto your Dr. -
Normally if you become a diabetic while serving in the Forces you are
quickly released due to a "Universality of Service" clause in our
contract.  Studies have now begun to prove that for most diabetics, the
quality of health and Life is greatly enhanced especially when
considering all the added physical/mental benefits and lifestyle
flexibility that the New pumps have to offer.   Because of the greater
control of Bg's and the extreme predictability of the Continuous
Subcutaneous Insulin Infusion (CSII) of Humalog insulin, the risk of
hypoglycemia is notably diminished.  Due to these points, I have just
been issued a insulin pump by the military and DCIEM (Dept. of Civil
Industrial Environmental Medicine) in order to evaluate it’s effects and
Bg control, then after a six month trial we hope to regain my flying
category as a Search and Rescue helicopter pilot.

Unfortunately the Atlantic Provinces are generally behind the power
curve a bit when dealing with acceptance of new technologies, but not
all Doctors out there are of the O’le school.  I would recommend that
you get a second opinion and find yourself a “Proactive” Dr. that is
willing to go that second mile with you and help expedite the
appointment issue.

Good luck my friend, unfortunately I too have “pushed” the proverbial
medical rope a few times myself but with the help of a few Keen medical
staff, nothing is impossible.

Major Chuck Grenkow MB CD
1 Canadian Air Division HeadQuarters
A3 Search & Rescue
“That Others May Live”

BTW - a little sidebar for you Darrin, if your present Dr says I don’t
have a snowball’s chance in hell in getting back to flying you can
mention to him that I became a diabetic in 1987, while in the military,
and after a 2 year grounding to checkout my Bg control, I became the
world’s 1st type I diabetic to get back Flying – 1989  413 Sqn Greenwood
NS.  So remember – “Nothing is Impossible”

send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted