[IP] Unpredictable effects of exercise on BG

Ellen. I agree completely with what you wrote about how difficult it is to predict the effect that exercise will have on blood sugar levels. It is impossible for me to keep a perfectly consistent schedule of activity from day to day. There are days when I will get little or no exercise and others when my level of activity will go way up. Even after 1 hour of moderate exercise, my basal rates will have to be reduced for at least the next 36 hours. It seems like I will just get my basal rates adjusted correctly, and then some exercise will really mess things up. But I am human, not a machine that can run the same day after day.
	I, like you, had very high expectations when I first got my pump 6 years ago, and I would never think of going back to mdi. I remember reading the book ³Pumping Insulin². Everything seemed almost too cut and dried, like the pump would provide a perfect answer for every situation.  But now I think I have become more aware of the fact that there are so many different things that can affect blood sugar levels. I canıt always stay ahead of them or predict the exact effect that they will have. I guess having tight control is great, but it also puts me much closer to that point where I could occasionally become hypoglycemic. At night it's scary for all of us. I feel like I am caught in a real dilemma. Do I let my blood sugars go a little higher and add more risk for complications, or do I strive for normal blood sugars and risk the added dangers that go along with serious hypoglycemia? There is no easy answer is there. Oh well. I suppose I just have to continue to live from day to day and try to make the best of it.   Hang in there Ellen.   Arnie

send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted