Re: [IP] Honeymoon Over?

Things do take a while to settle in. It can get frustrating : -(

It's possible that your basal rates need modification and / or your
carbohydrate ratios need adjusting (again).

Pumpers are all different - some take very little time to set and adjust
basal and bolus rates, others (like myself) find it takes a couple weeks
for the new rates to really "settle in". I remember talking to another
pumper before I started - her rates took several days to adjust when she
first started and she's changed them little since in the past 5 years. I
was bummed when I was adjusting mine (still) after several months. It
didn't seem fair.

I used to fight this fact stubbornly, but all it did was frustrate me. I
wanted to see a positive change - *NOW* ;-) I didn't want to wait. I
finally realized that my body has been adjusting to this pumping regimen
for a little over 2 years. I've been diabetic for around 42 years, so if
pumping changes take a bit longer than I expect, well, I'll just have to be
patient (which is definitely *not* my nature).

Pumpers I've spoken to say that many endos estimate the initial basal rates
a little on the "low" or conservative side when starting. It can be tricky
to get the initial rates just right. The thinking in these cases seems to
be that it's easier to adjust your BGs downward (gradually) in this
"honeymoon" phase, rather than deal with frequent hypos caused by basal or
bolus rates which are too high.

The fact that you've noticed these high BGs even when using different sites
hints that the real issue may be your basal / bolus rates.

It sounds like your diet is changing as well, which can complicate the
initial rate adjustments. Opinion seems to vary on this subject, but some
folks advise trying to have a fairly regular meal schedule, without varying
the dietary balance of the meals too much. This might help reduce the
number of variables you are dealing with during this adjustment phase and
make setting your rates a bit more predictable.

Above all, remember that Your Mileage May Vary (YMMV).

Bob Burnett

mailto:email @ redacted

Laurel wrote:

>I've been pumping since the 15th of this month.  Things were going great.
>All the sudden, in the past several days, I've been getting a bunch of high
>and variable blood sugars.  Same results with several different sites.  No
>illness or infection that I know of, no more stress that usual, and it's
>not time for my period.  I'm not proficient at carb-counting yet, but I was
>even less proficient the first two weeks!  And my husband says I am eating
>less now than B.P. (Before Pump).
>This situation is aggravating the heck outta my NPTSS (really bumming me
>out)--not to mention making me feel bad physically.
>In the transition to pumping, is it normal for your basal need to go *up*
>after a while?  I know overall insulin need is likely to go *down* at first
>(which mine did), but what about later?
>Any shared experiences, suggestions, or explanations appreciated.

send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted