Re: [IP] RE: Insulin Resistance

My first thought here is that two pop tarts is essentially 100% carbs, and
fairly fast acting ones.  If I eat a meal without a decent amount of
protien or at least fat to slow down the carb absorption my sugars are
going to spike like that too.  If it's taking 4+ hours for them to come
down it also sounds like your insulin to carb ratio is too high (1 unit of
insulin for x grams of carbs).  If you lower that number then you need more
insulin but it will help prevent the spikes and bring you down faster.
Also, if 4+ hours later you're seeing your sugars dropping chances are your
basal rates at that point are artifically high (to make up for too high of
an insulin to carb ratio at meal times).  My suggestion is to start with
some good basal testing (wait at least 4, preferably 6 hours after eating,
don't eat or drink anything other than water for a few hours, see if your
sugars stay in the same place, if they rise then your basals are too low,
if they fall then the basals are too high.  You'll probably need to do at
least 3-4 of these test to cover all times of the day and anywhere you need
to adjust the basal rate you'll need to test again to make sure it's now
right.  Once your basal rates are set you can move on to figuring our what
insulin to carb ratio(s) work best for you.  Many people find they need
different ratios for different times of day.  After eating a meal with any
carbs (especially a high carb meal like your breakfast) you'll see somewhat
of a spike but it shouldn't be as high as your seeing and should be back to
normal blood sugars within 2 or at most 3 hours.

Rebecca