[IP] NEW YORKERS More happy news: We're tops in health insurance costs

We all know that New York tops the nation in
<http://www.zillow.com/blog/highest-and-lowest-property-taxes-149303/>
property taxes. Now comes news that we pay the highest health insurance
rates as well.

Actually we are second highest behind Alaska, but everyone knows that
<http://www.payscale.com/cost-of-living-calculator/Alaska-Anchorage> prices
for everything in the Last Frontier are considerably higher and could be
considered an outlier situation.

According to the Empire Center's NY Torch blog, and based on federal data
from 2015, New Yorkers covered by employer sponsored health plans - a major
source of insurance - had the second highest prices behind Alaska. Moreover
rates in New York rose at three times the national average.

The survey data showed that while nationwide single premiums grew by 2.2
percent for the year, New York's jumped by 7.8 percent.

And the average family premium in New York was $19,630, compared to a
national average of $17,322, according to the report.

John S Wilkinson

Rome, NY