[IP] Type I in Older Folks

 My endo told me that people can be diagnosed with Type I at any age. She said
she had a patient diagnosed at 80 with Type I, and that that person is now close
to 90 and doing just fine! It's such a shame that so many doctors think Type I
is still limited to juveniles. I heard awhile back that there are just not
enough endocrinologists out there. I don't know if that is true, but it's
possible that, with managed care, people are being diagnosed with Type II by
doctors who just don't know the facts.

 In my own family, I was diagnosed at 16, my brother at 14, a first cousin at 9,
his sister while in her 20s and pregnant, their Mom (my aunt) at age 75. Then
(on that same side of the family) another cousin was diagnosed at age 50. On the
other side of my family, I had a cousin diagnosed at 17, while his identical
twin wasn't diagnosed till age 27. All these folks have Type I.

Signe

Sent from my iPad