Re: [IP] Re: venting

Fellow ips,  When I feel that I'm working in the dark about this
disease, I remember that Type 1's in this generation are really
pioneers.  My family has dealt with this disease for three generations

of diabetes treatment.  If there were any type i's in the family
before my father, they would have died quickly.    My father was dx'd

when he was 12 1920) in rural Arkansas.  The best treatment in those
days was hospitalization and starvation.  He lived on 400 calories per

day until his uncle, who was an MD was able to get him insulin.  His
testing routine involved heating a test tube with a flame using some
kind of reagent, and then a new breakthrough, clinitest which boiled
itself.  He lived to age 34 when he died of a heart attack.  My
brother , also dx'd at age 12 (1957) in the suburbs of  New York  got

insulin u40 pork and beef) and "managed" his blood sugars with
dipstick urine tests.  Syringes were boiled often jammed and had 24ga.

needles which had to be sharpened.  He lived to age 34 and died in end

stage renal disease,  having lost one leg to gangrene.  He was on
dialysis for the last two years of his life.  I was dx';d at age 34
immediately went on insulin and , after about three years got hooked
up with UC San Francisco diabetes clinic where i learned about blood
glucose monitoring strips and analog insulins, Now I wear a smart pump

and have a CGM.  I am 69. All this to suggest that our current cohort

of type i's have infinitely better circumstances than ever.  We are
making history by living so long.  Complications now arise which no
one in previous generations of treatment faced becase they didn't live

long enough.  We are creating the data that's needed to treat us
better day by day.  Sarah