Re: [IP] Medicare ALJ case

 We need to remember also that type 1's who are dying of "old-age" related
problems are mostly people who started their diabetes care with glass syringes
and Tes-Tape.
On Jun 30, 2011, at 9:40 PM, Denise Bricher wrote:

 > There, I chopped this down a little, so it doesn't appear over and over in
the digest version...

 > The ADA just held its meeting, the life expectancy thing was presented there.
I read about it a couple of days ago in a news brief article in the Minneapolis
Star Tribune (on-line). It was there one night and gone the next morning.

 > One of the points raised in the article though, was that the increased life
expectancy would have an effect on the insurance industry's actuarial tables!

> I'm sure that whatever happens at the ADA will be reprinted elsewhere.
>
> Denise B.
>
> On 6/30/2011 11:23 PM, Susan Lane wrote:
>> Denise, it's curious to me when you state in point 3, the life expectancy of
>> a type I is 68 years.  I have a friend who does some kind of work in the
>> insurance world and he studies life expectancy as it pertains to life
>> insurance policies and he said that diabetics who take care of their
>> diabetes live a long natural life.  In other words, the disease does not cut
>> your life short.  The lack of caring for the disease may though.
>>
>> I'd like to know if anyone else knows about this.  I'm "lucky" because I
>> didn't get the disease as a child.  I got it at the old age of 57.
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 7:28 PM, Denise<email @ redacted>  wrote:
>>

>>> 3.  Type 1 diabetics have a longer life expectancy and a longer survival
>>> span.  I just saw an article that said at the ADA's San Diego meeting, the
>>> average life expectancy for a person with Type 1 diabetes is now
 >>> 68.something years. (Yippee, I have 10 years left to live, and I'm going to
>>> enjoy them to the max!)
> .

Sue Ann Bowling