Rolling Over the 100,000 Odometer Reading.
<snip>

Its a fact that very few bicyclists have kept track of their mileage
over multiple years, so I believe that the most significant part of my
reaching the accumulation of 100,000 miles is that I did keep track of
it. I suspect that others have accumulated as much, but they didnt
keep track of it.

The first ride I recorded was on Saturday, April 15, 1978  I did 20
miles that day. My first ride with ABC was on Sunday, June 11, 1978
for a distance of 22 miles. Who was there? Of course I remember Gene
and Sylvia, but also Ed and Sandy McGee, Richard Fisher, Deb and John
Whitford, and Russell Yost. We rode to a restaurant on the east side
of 32nd Street, near Thunderbird Road.

I bought my first bike about 10 months before I started to keep track
of my mileage. On June 11, 1977, I purchased a Nishiki Olympic for
$164. Big bucks then! On December 29, 1984, I moved up to a Trek 620
that I paid $500 for and still have. Six years later, on June 23,
1990, I bought a Bianchi Giro for $1,028. 42/53, 13/23. I replaced the
rear cluster 10 years later, June 20, 2000 with a 14/28.

My first century was on Saturday, October 24, 1981. Cody Hutson ran
this event for ABC, somewhere in North Scottsdale. I still have the
25, 50, 75, and 100-mile patches. My first El Tour de Tucson, which
happened to be only their second annual event, was on Saturday,
November 17, 1984.

For documentation, I have kept, and continue to keep, one sheet
listing miles for each year from 1978 to 2008 and a spreadsheet for
each year from 1978 to 2008 showing 7 days per week and 52 weeks per
year with weekly and annual totals.

During those earlier years, I calculated mileage via maps. Starting
April 15, 1978, I recorded trip mileages to the nearest mile based on
examination of a map at the end of each ride. In 1987, I started using
a Cateye Solar but continued to record trip miles to the nearest mile.
In 1990, I started using a Cateye Vectra but continued to record trip
miles to the nearest mile. On January 5th, 1997, I began recording
trip mileages to the nearest tenth of a mile and on July 4, 1997, I
started using a Cateye Cordless 2 and began recording trip mileages to
the nearest hundredth of a mile.

Cycling is something that has been integral to my life for a long
time. In 1942 at age 10, I was diagnosed with Type 1 (juvenile onset)
Diabetes. For the first 52.5 years there were 1-3 insulin injections
per day. For the most recent 13 years, insulin has been administered
using a continuously connected insulin infusion pump, resulting in
significantly better control of the glucose level. Type 1 diabetes
requires careful ongoing balancing of insulin, carbohydrate
consumption, and exercise (including bicycling). I have received the
Joslin 50-Year Medal, awarded by the Joslin Diabetes Center, Boston,
MA to those who have survived Type 1 diabetes for more than fifty
years. So you can see that exercise is a really good thing!

With all of this said, I expect to reach the 100,000 mile marker on
Sunday, August 31, 2008, riding with the Pacers 4 from Granada Park.
This will truly be a great day for me and God willing and the Monsoon
floods dont rise, the weather will be great and I will roll over that
momentous odometer reading!

A few facts along the way----

7 Fracture of right hip, touched wheels with another bike, Sunday
April 13, 1986. I was out of action for 20 weeks.

7 Most miles in one calendar year: 10,006 miles in 1991.

7 Fracture of left hip when I was hit by a van, Wednesday, June 1,
2005. I was out of action for 18 weeks.

7 Participated in seven El Tours de Tucson, 1984-1991, except for 1986.

7 College: 1950-1954 Swarthmore College, Swarthmore, PA. BS in
Electrical Engineering.

7 Employment History

o 1953-1957 General Electric Co., training program, various locations.

o 1957-1960 General Electric Co., Palo Alto, CA.

o 1960-1970 General Electric Co., Computer Systems Engineer, Phoenix.
In 1970, GE sold its computer business to Honeywell.

o 1970-1986 Honeywell Information Systems, Computer Systems Engineer,
Phoenix.

o Since 1986, retired from work but not from riding!

Tom Beatson
dx 12/1942, 506 1995, 508 2000, Cozmo 2005, plus Navigator 2008