Re: [IP] New York Times Article

Well yes, that was a depressing article BUT, I find diabetes to be a
very depressing disease! As a health care professional for the past
22 years I have found that even health care professionals who are not
versed in the intricacies of diabetes management to think it is a
rather easy disease to treat, and that if a person with diabetes has
complications it's their own fault. We all know that is not
necessarily the case. Yes, there is a strong correlation with tight
control and a decrease in complications but some people seem to
develop problems no matter how hard they work to control their
diabetes. And most definitely diabetes is not easy to manage, not for
me anyhow.  And it seems to become harder to control the longer I
have it (going on 32 years now).  And decades of diabetes is going to
take its toll in some way--whether it's the breakdown of physical or
emotional health. At least it's that way for me and I doubt that I'm
too different from the "average" person with diabetes.

My opinion of the article is that was right on. Perhaps if people
understood just how devastating this disease can be it would get more
funding for a cure.

BTW, did anyone else see a story on TV a few weeks ago about the
Howard Hughes Research Institute in Washington DC? I had never heard
of it but it is a privately funded research facility where the
researchers can pretty much research what they want and there is a
fellow there who had 2 kids with DM who is working on DM research.
Since they are not government funded they are not subject to the
governmental regulations (like they can do stem cell research, etc).
Can't remember the name of the researcher. Seems like it was Douglas
something-or-the-other that started with a "G."

Just my 2 cents...

Kelly
now I'm off to take my cymbalta, lisinopril, metformin (in addition
to my insulin), vytorin, and claritin (and I'm only 43!)