[IP] Re: IP] Charity ride for JDRF tragedy

<<	 From: "Barbara Young`" <email @ redacted>
	 Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 02:04:02 -0700
Charity ride turns tragic as two cyclists run down
 From Tuesday's Globe and Mail July 1, 2008 at 12:38 AM EDT  It was a
daring dream by an exceptional man. Daniel Hurtubise had spent two
years organizing a bicycling trip across Canada with his two teen
children that would raise money and increase awareness of Type 1
diabetes, the condition he lived with from age 15. They left Vancouver
in mid-June, joined by Robert Carrier, a cancer survivor and father of
six who retired early and wealthy after selling his high-tech firm.
The journey ended in tragedy Sunday, on a stretch of the Trans-Canada
Highway near Brandon, when a passing car hit them, killing the two
men. Mr. Hurtubise's two children were also injured. Sonia, 16,
remained in hospital in Brandon with a leg injury, while her brother,
Alex, 19, was released.  >>

This report hit me three ways. Fortunately for me, all three are
indirect. First, I am a Type 1 diabetic. Second, I am a bicyclist.
Third, I am an amateur genealogist with some roots in Manitoba.
There's not much more I can say, except to express my sympathies to
the Hurtubise and Carrier families.

Tom Beatson
dx 12/1942, 506 1995, 508 2000, Cozmo 2005