RE: [IP] Charity ride for JDRF tragedy

Such a tragedy to happen to people trying to do something good.

Anne
Happy Canada Day!!!!

> From: email @ redacted> To: email @ redacted> Subject: [IP]
Charity ride for JDRF tragedy> Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 02:04:02 -0700> > Insulin
Pumpers is made possible by your tax deductible contributions.> Your donation
of $10, $25, or more... just $1 or $2 per month is > needed so that Insulin
Pumpers can continue to serve you and the rest> of the diabetes community.
Please visit:> > http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/donate.shtml> > Your annual
contribution will eliminate this header from your IP mail> > Charity ride
turns tragic as two cyclists run down> From Tuesday's Globe and Mail July 1,
2008 at 12:38 AM EDT> > It was a daring dream by an exceptional man. Daniel
Hurtubise had spent two> years organizing a bicycling trip across Canada with
his two teen children> that would raise money and increase awareness of Type 1
diabetes, the> condition he lived with from age 15.> > They left Vancouver in
mid-June, joined by Robert Carrier, a cancer survivor> and father of six who
retired early and wealthy after selling his high-tech> firm.> > The journey
ended in tragedy Sunday, on a stretch of the Trans-Canada Highway> near
Brandon, when a passing car hit them, killing the two men.> > Mr. Hurtubise's
two children were also injured. Sonia, 16, remained in> hospital in Brandon
with a leg injury, while her brother, Alex, 19, was> released.> > Mr.
Hurtubise, 50, had survived four episodes of diabetic coma. Nevertheless,> he
was an avid athlete, a former competitive swimmer who took a sabbatical> from
his marketing job in Montreal for the project he dubbed Ride of a> Lifetime.>
> "He wanted to inspire young people, to show them that you could live a
normal> life even if you had diabetes," said family friend Frangoise Le
Guillou.> > Mr. Carrier, 45, leaves behind a wife and six children - two girls
and four> boys - ranging in age from 31/2 to 21 years old. The cross-country
ride was a> long-time dream for a man who had survived skin cancer, said his
wife,> Mireille.> > "We were so proud of what he was doing," she said from
Kelowna, B.C., where> the Montreal-born Mr. Carrier had relocated so his
children could learn> English.> > Mr. Carrier had donated $10,000 to the
project, the bulk of the $15,881 the> trip had raised so far for the Juvenile
Diabetes Research Foundation.> > Foundation president Andrew McKee said Mr.
Hurtubise's work was appreciated> because growing numbers of people, at
increasingly younger ages, are hit with> juvenile diabetes, also known as Type
1.> > While about two million Canadians have diabetes, Type 1 is the
lesser-known of> the two forms of the disease, he said. Type 1 is not a
lifestyle illness and> strikes people at a young age.> > Despite a condition
that required testing his blood several times a day and> injecting himself
with insulin, Mr. Hurtubise had a zest for life. "He's a> teenager who happens
to be 50 years old," Ms. Le Guillou said.> > Early in June, he left his home
in Saint-Bruno, south of Montreal, with his> two children and some friends and
relatives, driving to B.C. in an RV. A film> crew also followed them
occasionally for a TV documentary.> > On June 14, the ride began at
Vancouver's Stanley Park. They hoped to raise> half a million dollars by the
time they hit St. John's in mid-August.> > Once in Kelowna, the group stayed
at the lakeside home of Mr. Carrier, an> engineer who wanted to join the
trip.> > Mr. Carrier had been the CEO of Safework Inc., a firm whose software
creates> virtual human models to help design plane cockpits and other tight
workspaces.> The company, for example, scanned the body of F1 driver Michael
Schumacher so> Ferrari engineers could optimize the shape of his racing car.>
> Mr. Carrier retired in his 30s after selling his firm. He was looking for
new> challenges and hit it off with Mr. Hurtubise, Ms. Carrier said.> > During
their journey, the four cyclists only had one day of rain but> confronted
other difficulties, from flies to Mr. Hurtubise's fluctuating> diabetes.> > On
his blog, he wrote that between Swift Current and Moose Jaw, "the whole day> I
had a terrible headache, I was weak and could not think straight . A bad day>
for a diabetic trying to control his/her energy is much worst than riding 177>
km."> > By the time they hit Manitoba, they had left a deep impression on
people who> crossed their paths. Regina radio host Brad Grass recalled the
relationship> between Mr. Hurtubise and his children during a visit at his
station, Big Dog> 92.7 FM.> > "The connection between them was intangible and
palpable at the same time, and> it left me wondering what I could do to build
on my own relationship with my> children . he inspired me to be a better
person, and a better father.. That> was the kind of man Daniel was," Mr. Grass
wrote on his blog.> > On their journey, the cyclists were followed from behind
by their RV, which> flashed its amber lights.> > The accident occurred around
noon, near Virden, 290 kilometres west of> Winnipeg.> > Ms. Carrier said the
RCMP told her that a Honda Civic tried to pass the group> and apparently
swerved back too quickly, sideswiping the four cyclists.> > The Honda's
driver, a 27-year-old from Virden, wasn't injured.> > No charges have been
filed and the RCMP is continuing its investigation, said> Staff Sergeant Line
Karpish. She said alcohol is not believed to be a factor> in the accident.> >
Her voice breaking, Ms. Carrier recalled speaking with her husband the night>
before.> > "These were good people," she said.> .>