[IP] Insulin Without RX

 >>> Doesn't it come under the federal law that says that insulin and
shall be available to people with diabetes without a prescription?
How could
it be illegal? (I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just wondering how
it could
be illegal?) <<<

My understanding is that Banting and Best arranged with US
authorities and Eli Lilly that insulin would be made available in the
US without the need for a prescription. And this is the way it has
been ever since for animal insulin and human insulin. When insulin
analogs became available the pharmaceutical industry got away with
claiming that the analogs were not insulin, they were analogs of
insulin, and hence they could require a prescription (and a higher
price) for the analogs. Banting's discovery has been a lifesaver for
millions of us, and the no-RX requirement saved $ for many of us, but
he did not foresee analogs, nor anticipate how the pharmaceutical
industry would be able to classify insulin analogs as non-insulin. As
far as I'm concerned, the analogs perform the essential function of
insulin that Banting discovered, so analogs should be treated as
insulin. But that's just my opinion, and the FDA doesn't seem to
agree with me.

Tom Beatson
dx 12/1942, 506 1995, 508 2000, Cozmo 2005, Cozmo 1800 2007