Re: [IP] Re: Changing Lancets

>     Michael, I don't get the connection between the lubricant wearing
>     off
> and the nicking and the chipping.

Without the lubricant it is much easier for the knife to snag on the
tissue it is trying to cut. Since the knife is "very" thin, the local
strength is not great compared to the surface it is cutting. The
insertion needle in the center of your infusion set is lubricated also
for pretty much the same reason. It allows the "knife" at the tip to
more easily penetrate the skin. Look at the insertion needle with a
magnifiying glass. You will see that it is an angled, sharpened blade,
not a point like a needle. The more cleanly and easily these knives
cut, the less pain and the less damage they do as the cut through the
tissue. A clean enough cut will basically seal up when the blade is
removed.

Michael