Re: [IP] IP] IS A HYPOGLYCEMIC EVENT A EMERGENCY ??

In Minnesota, one of the questions on the application for a drivers
license is do you take insulin...  Many years ago, there was a traffic
fatality caused by a diabetic driver who lost consciousness.  So every
IDDM driver in the state of MN has to have their doctor fill out a form
stating that we are capable of driving.  Blatant discrimination.  This
episode occured back in the day of NPH/Lente pre-DNA recombinant
insulin.  The state does not question the driving abilities of other
potientally impaired groups of people, most notably persons with past
DUI convictions.  Even some persons with epilepsy have driving
privileges (not all).  There are a lot of people taking medications that
could cause drowsiness, for another example.  A low blood sugar in a
diabetic person can be quickly fixed, but only if that person can get to
a source of glucose.  When it's time to park the car, park it.  It's
better than running into something or someone.

Denise May