From: email @ redacted
[mailto:email @ redacted] On Behalf Of maverickmom
(Kerri)
Sent: Friday, July 28, 2006 7:09 PM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: [IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V9 #962

This is my understanding of how "organic" labeling works.
http://www.ams.usda.gov/nop/Consumers/brochure.html
This site says there is a $10k per violation fine for violators.
 I agree, read the labels closely. Some labels have things like "organic
certification pending" etc. If I were buying organic (which I don't
usually), I wouldn't buy those.

 My point on the fish seems to have been missed. *If* they are calling it
organic (which I don't know) then they can't just take any fish out of fresh
water or ocean and call it organic. There is some standard that has to be
met there to get that label (and in the case of fish, they would have to be
fed food that would meet the organic standard in order to be sold as
organic...the easiest way to do/control that is to farm-raise them. If a
free-range chicken can't be certified organic because its food isn't organic
feed, I'm thinking a fish that does essentially the same thing in the
ocean/lake/river etc could not be organic either. Hence my controlled
environment statement. I was not equating that with organic. My apologies if
it was taken that way.) And it may not be strict enough for some, but seems
pretty strict to me. There was an article in our local paper not too long
ago that featured a local farm that sold produce locally, labelled as
organic. They talked about how
  strict it was and how difficult it is to be able to meet the criteria for
it in today's society with all the pollution. It seemed like a real pain in
the rear.

 On the flip side...some organic products don't have the organic sticker on
them. It's not required to have the sticker. But if you use the sticker it
has to be at least 95% organic (according to the site above). I would think
that 95% is because there are things you just can't control. Aside from
pollution, things such as fish swimming around in their own poo. Even if it
were organic poo, it's poo nonetheless. ;)

 Take care, Kerri - proud mom of 8 in western OR :)
http://www.myspace.com/txgrits1965
 "Work hard, live simply, give liberally, save wisely." - John Coblentz,
Christian Family Living .