[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V9 #962

In a message dated 7/28/2006 7:27:18 AM Central Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

The  reason Trader Joe's sells farm-raised fish is probably because, for  a
product to be certified "organic", you have to know the history of and
control
what goes into the animal (or in this case, fish). The contents of  their
diet
can be controlled in a farm-raised environment...they are  probably fed
organic
fish food. This is how it works with chickens and  selling their eggs (you
have
to feed them certified organic chicken feed.  You wouldn't be able to call a
free
range egg "organic" because you can't  control what the chicken eats when
free
ranging. They aren't the same thing  even though they are both healthier for
you
than one from a an overcrowded  chicken factory of unknown practices.) I'm
sure
the organic stuff works the  same way with fish as well.

Please be aware that just because something is labeled Organic does NOT  mean
it is raised in a controlled environment, or isn't polluted by one or more
NON-controlled ingredients.  The FDA has such loose standards that there is
not as much control out there as you think.  I shop at Trader Joe's all the
time, BUT I read all the labels before buying their food.  Much of  their food
has ingredients that are NOT free of pollutants (I mean chemicals,  additives.
flavor enhancers, etc.)  You can find good things at  Trader Joe's, you just
have to read.  To learn more, go to _http://www.truthinlabeling.org/_
(http://www.truthinlabeling.org/)

I will apologize in advance that this is long, but here is a similar
situation, only with milk, not fish:
ORGANIC BOYCOTT SPREADS--
ORGANIC OUTLAWS LABELING FACTORY FARM MILK AS  "USDA ORGANIC"
In April OCA launched a boycott of two leading organic dairy  brands and
distributors, Horizon (a division of Dean Foods) and Aurora, for  mislabeling
their products as "USDA Organic." All of Aurora's and much of  Horizon's
"organic"
milk is coming from factory farm feedlots where the cows  have been brought
in from conventional farms and have little or no access to  pasture. After
three months, thousands of consumers and a number of co-ops and  natural food
stores have joined the boycott. Now it's time to expand the boycott  to five
grocery chains selling bogus organic milk from Aurora Organic:

Costco's "Kirkland Signature"
Publixbs bHigh Meadows"
Safeway's  "O" Organics brand
Wild Oats' organic milk
Giant's "Nature's Promise."
In addition OCA is calling for a boycott of Horizon's sister soy
brands--Silk soymilk and White Wave tofu--which have begun turning away from
U.S.
organic farmers and instead importing cheap organic soybeans from China and
Brazil,
where labor rights and environmental standards are routinely violated.
Please send an email message to the Shameless Seven, telling them to stop
violating organic standards and to source certified organic foods and
ingredients from North American family farmers. And please forward this email
interested friends and colleagues. Take Action:
_http://www.organicconsumers.org/rd/aurora.cfm_
(http://www.organicconsumers.org/rd/aurora.cfm)

BOYCOTT  THE SHAMELESS SEVEN--ORGANIC OUTLAWS LABELING FACTORY FARM MILK AS
'USDA  ORGANIC'
While USDA bureaucrats drag their feet on closing key loopholes in  national
organic organic standards, retailers, wholesalers and major borganicb
brands
are continuing to sell milk and dairy products labeled as "USDA Organic,
even though most or all of their milk is coming from factory farm feedlots
where
the animals have been brought in from conventional farms and are kept in
intensive confinement, with little or no access to pasture.

The Organic  Consumers Association is expanding its boycott of Horizon and
Aurora organic  dairy products to include five national "private label"
organic
milk brands  supplied by Aurora, as well as two leading organic soy products,
Silk and White  Wave, owned by Horizon's parent company, Dean Foods. Its time
to turn up the  heat on the "Shameless Seven.
While thousands of organic consumers and a  number of natural food stores and
cooperatives have joined the boycott, major  national large grocery retailers
have ignored the boycott.

Aurora  Organic supplies milk for several private label organic milk brands,
including  Costco's "Kirkland Signature," Safewaybs "O" organics brand,
Publixb
s bHigh  Meadows,bGiant's "Natures Promise," and Wild Oatsb organic
milk.
Aurora Organic  received a failing grade from the Cornucopia Institute's
survey
of organic  dairies for its practice of intensive confinement of dairy cows.
For pictures of  Aurora Organic's operations, follow this link. The Cornucopia
Institute recently  blew the whistle on Aurora Organic's greenwashing and its
bogus certification of  animal welfare.

Take action today! Send a message to the Shameless  Sevens' CEOs and let them
know you are boycotting their products until they  comply with USDA organic
standards. Sign the petition below!
Link to  Petition:
_http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/organizationsORG/oca/campaign.jsp?campa
gn_KEY=4756_
(http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/organizationsORG/oca/campaign.jsp?campa
ign_KEY=4756)

Also, If the food industry has it's way, organic standards will be further
compromised:
Go to his site at _www.truthinlabeling.org_ (http://www.truthinlabeling.org/)
 to participate for truth in  labeling:
Stop the National Uniformity for Food Act: Senate Bill S  3128.

The pro-big-business House of Representatives has already passed  HR 4167,
the National Uniformity for Food Act. If S 3128 is passed by the  Senate,
legislation will wipe out hundreds of State food safety labeling laws.

Passage of S 3128 will guarantee uniformly greater profits for the food
industry and uniformly lower food standards and less meaningful food labeling
information for us all.

Industry has launched a vicious attack on food  labeling. A bill to decimate
labeling was passed by the House of Representatives  in March, 2006. The
Senate is now considering passing the same bill.

The  Grocery Manufacturers Association has orchestrated House Bill H.R.4167
and  Senate Bill S 3128 which together will wipe out State food labeling laws
that  exceed Federal standards, and prohibit any new State or Municipal
legislation  that exceeds Federal standards. If S 3128 is passed, we will have
less
regulation and less labeling; eliminating critical State and Municipal laws
that  protect consumer health, and reducing all standards to the minimal
standards  promulgated by the Federal government.

I have been diabetic for 25 years, and on the pump for 20 of them.  I  never
used to pay attention to what was in my food.  I do now.  I have  followed
your discussions here about why some fast foods make your blood sugar  go up,
even though you bolus correctly for the carbs.  Someone posted that  some of
the
chains do not label their carbs correctly.  I believe  that.  I further
believe that some of the additives in processed foods can  cause untoward
spikes in
our blood sugars.  For me in particular,  Monosodium glutamate (and it goes by
MSG or 80 other names) always causes my  blood sugar to spike.

Lisa in Missouri