Sorry...I have been using a pump for over 24 years and thought that
maybe somebody with a greater familiarity with the new pumps would speak
up.  I think that every Type 1 should automatically get a pump.  I
started with a Cardiac Pacemakers 9100 which was a huge pump that used
nickel-cadmium batteries.  Go look at the history page for pumps.  Jan
H's picture is in there wearing one.  One basal rate, straight metal
needles that plugged frequently and it didn't have any memory.  Went to
a MiniMed 502 - where I first experienced the less than adequate quality
of MiniMed's C/S.  The window screen broke - MiniMed tried to tell me
that it was my fault.  One tiny little woman is not going to fracture
what should be super-tough plastic.  But I stuck with MiniMed for a
504...it was OK - I started swimming again by using their plastic case.
There's one for the museum.  It was just like a plastic soap dish,
except that it was clear and the opening went the other way.  And it had
a little hole that the infusion set went out.  We were supposed to apply
a little petroleum jelly around the hole to keep water out.  So when the
504 got to be elderly (aged 7 years), I found that there was a new
company, Animas, and they had a waterproof pump, the R1000.  Plus,
MiniMed's infusion sets started leaking on me.  They introduced the
Silhouette and even sent me a sample one, but they didn't send any
information or training materials.  If you're used to using infusion
sets that look like thumbtacks at the 'business end' and all of a sudden
you see a new design that looks like the needle for an amniocentesis
(huge! run!), you'd be non-radical and stick to the old way of doing
things too.  While MiniMed did advertise the 508, the first ones
released suffered from severe programming errors.  This problem was
fixed.  I did, however, want that waterproof pump, so I did go with the
R1000.  It didn't have a plastic window that you could use to visually
inspect the cartridge; it had an alarm that just blared on and on and
on.  Plus, although, the MiniMeds and the Animas R1000 all used watch
batteries, the MiniMeds' just popped in behind the leadscrew for the
syringe.  Animas's had to be aligned very carefully on some ribbons and
inserted into the pump body just exactly so or they wouldn't work.
Well, after my daughter presented me with a cell phone and I realized
that I could go camping by myself, I decided that the R1000 is a real
liability in a tent in a field in the dark.  Prudence dictates carrying
backups for everything and I became so worried that I would have to
juggle watch batteries in a tent at 1 AM in a rainstorm that I started
changing batteries before an expedition.  Also, I went to California
without my banjo on my knee when my grandson was born.  The nice thing
about children living in Los Angeles is that one who loves to swim can
most of the year.  Well, the gasket that the R1000 uses wasn't tight
enough and I fried the pump.  The Animas sales rep from San Diego had to
drive 100 miles to give me a loaner and then drive 100 miles back home
again.  The replacement pump arrived via UPS the day after.  No more
swimming with an Animas attached.  And I didn't pay anything for all of
that service!  Animas still is printing warnings about their gaskets in
their newsletters.

Then, because there are usually two diabetes health seminars a year in
this city, I found a Deltec sales rep at the TCOYD session last year.  I
discovered that Deltec is really CPI reborn.  Loved the features of the
pump. They have everything that MiniMed had plus the Cozmore.  No CGMS,
but hey!  I became diabetic in 1966.  Our diets back then were high fat,
high protein, low carb.  Guaranteed to kill you if the insulin didn't
get you first - slower than molasses in January stuff that let your
sugars soar, then hit like a ton of bricks.  Complete with abnormal
proteins that plugged capillaries and arteries with wild abandon to
cause amputations, blindness and heart attacks.  Back 40 years ago, if
you had 2 BGs done in a year, you were overly concerned about your
health...  I have a Cosmo and I like it. When packing for camping I
include AAA batteries for both my headlamp and my pump.  What I don't
carry are little tools for maintenance because all you need is a coin
(for getting into the battery compartment). I did find out that the
CoPilot system for analyzing BGs will be rereleased later this year.
(Please, Abbott, don't be like Microsoft and keep pushing the date
back.)   But I read the newsletter from TCOYD this afternoon and I must
say that CCMS sounds like a necessity.  Hope somebody starts a new
thread about that.

There!  Does this help?

Denise May