Re: [IP] gastroparesis

-----Original Message-----

>This whole experience left me with several perplexed feelings.  Why is the
>FDA banning drugs that are easily available in all other countries except
>the U.S?  Why is that I can buy a box of 30 pills for about $5.00 full price
>in Mexico, yet my insurance co-pay for the same drug in the U.S. is $20.00
>or $40.00 or even $100.  After 4 years of prescription drug freedom in
>Mexico, I am once again at the mercy of my health insurance company
>dictating what I can and can not be prescribed by my dr.  It's all so very
>frustrating.

 One of the cats at my job takes Propulsid/cisapride. The vet told me that it
was banned here for use in humans because it caused heart problems/heart
attacks, but has not shown any problems for use in animals. I'd love to be able
to get it from Mexico! We get it compounded at the vet's office, 60 capsules
(5mg, I think) for $60 a month. Since it's not available anywhere else, we
pretty much have to pay their price. Harriet (the cat) takes it because she
suffers from severe constipation. She also takes lactulose, a stool softener,
twice a day.

--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987