[IP] gastroparesis

I have had gastroparesis for 2 years.  I have been taking Propulsid obtained
from Mexico.  Propulsid is a motility drug.  The generic is Cisapride and
the name of the drug in Mexico is Cisaprida or Presistin.  The cost for 30
tablets of Presistin is about $5.41 USD (full price) for 30 tablets.  The
cost for Cisaprida is about $4.49 USD (full price) for 30 tablets.  This
stuff works great for keeping the food moving through your slow digestive
system vs. chucking it all back up (been there; done that).  No prescription
is required for these drugs in Mexico. There are no quantity limits on
purchases of either of these drugs.   I lived in Mexico for 4 years and was
lucky enough to be able to get it easily.  I moved back to the U.S. about 1
year ago, and unfortunately I can not obtain the drug in the U.S. because it
is on the FDA banned list.  Some American drs. will assist you with getting
the drug (Propulsid) if nothing else works for you (and there aren't many
alternative drugs available in the US that do work well for this problem).
Drs. in the U.S. may prescribe Erythromycin (it simply irritates the stomach
into emptying) or Reglan.  Reglan has a load of crappy side affects.
Another motility medication similar to Propulsid is called Domperidone.
It's sold in just about every country except the U.S.  Nexium (which can be
obtain in the U.S.) will assist with the nausea and the "tennis ball in the
throat" feeling.

This whole experience left me with several perplexed feelings.  Why is the
FDA banning drugs that are easily available in all other countries except
the U.S?  Why is that I can buy a box of 30 pills for about $5.00 full price
in Mexico, yet my insurance co-pay for the same drug in the U.S. is $20.00
or $40.00 or even $100.  After 4 years of prescription drug freedom in
Mexico, I am once again at the mercy of my health insurance company
dictating what I can and can not be prescribed by my dr.  It's all so very
frustrating.

If anyone on the list takes a vacation to Mexico, check out the pharmacies
for yourself and you will be shocked at how much more affordable the meds
are.  Look for stores that say "farmacia" or "pharmacia."  The best national
pharmacy chain in Mexico is called "Farmacia Similares"  It's a pharmacy
chain that sells nothing but generic drugs.  The prices are fantastic.  If
any of you get any crazy ideas about doing this, please be aware that there
are regulations for bringing prescription meds back across the border into
the U.S.  Tip....unpackage your meds and dump them all in a vitamin bottle.
I sure hope that last comment doesn't get me kicked off the list or
arrested.

Becky