[IP] Re: pride/acceptance

In a message dated 7/24/2006 10:59:57 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

Dear  Everyone:
As the spouse of a law enforcement agency, I was horrified to  read of R.
Leppanen's situation.  While I completely understand that  this person was
legitimately using insulin, I have to say that if a law  enforcement official
tells you to drop something, do it.

As a  citizen you are obligated to obey the order of law  enforcement
personnel.  Once you've dropped the insulin/syringe, then  you can explain
you are not using an illegal drug, etc.  I say this  only because disobeying
an officer often leads to escalation, use of force,  and (in my personal
opinion) beligerant (sp) behavior on one part often  results in similar
behavior on the officer's part, right or  wrong.

This police department obviously was negligent in not having  a
diabetes/insulin policy, but for your own personal safety, you should  always
obey the command of an officer.  When you listen to them,  they're more
likely to listen to you.

There are stupid people  everywhere, and you don't want to become a victim of
the system because you  are dealing with an uninformed law enforcement
person.

I am in no  way, shape or form condoning anything that happened.  That is
terrible  and in my honest opinion, I think that police department owes you a
lot  more than a policy change.

I am just passing along a bit of advice  because I care about you all.

Flame  away.

Stacy

As a former law enforcement officer as well as a spouse of an officer I can
say I wholeheartedly agree with you. However, I believe they said it happened
a  long time ago and unfortunately ignorance of Diabetes and how to handle it
properly was common. Even now, officers do not fully understand that when a
diabetics blood sugar is low, it can appear that they are intoxicated. Most
don't even know the signs to look for.

My husband recently backed up a suspected DUI call and the officer was
 fixing to place the woman under arrest for failing her sobriety test. My
husband
 recognized right away that the woman appeared to have low blood sugar and that
was exactly what it was.

I recently had a severe reaction and pulled on the side of the road to
 unlodge a glucose tablet for the little plastic roll. As I did that, I passed
out
and busted my nose on the steering wheel. I was there for an hour before one
of my husband's guys found me. He thought I was dead because there was blood
everywhere. It scared him to death and me as well. I've been taking beta
blockers and for some reason, my lows have been sneaking up on me fast. Of
 course, I do take 200 units a day. By the time he found me, my bs was at 30.
The
officer didn't have any experience but I can assure you after finding me, he
read up on it!

Sorry for the ramble....