Re: [IP] Re: Almost a week with this pump

<<<I have a trainer and I realize that this thing takes time. I even had a
better experience tonight by eating a Southwestern Chicken Salad at Jack In
the Box and programming 45 units in my thing(that salad could not have been
worth more than 30!) I got a 275 reading, then I corrected it, went over to
my friends house for two hours, came back and got a 310 reading...something
has to be wrong with this piece of crap. $6,000 should provide for a quality
product that adds some form
of satisfaction to one's life. I hate minimed, I'd rather risk going low,
then not being able to eat a salad with this horrific high.   Honestly, I
don't want to go low, in fact, the ultimate decision maker for me was having
the paramedics called on me by my father, two months ago...that had never
happened in the 9 years of having this. I don't want to go low, but my
diabetes is so messed up now, I guess some person was saying that I
shouldn't blame the pump, but this thing is mine, and I have a right to
express my dissatisfaction with this thing. My trainer keeps saying this
will correct
itself within time of writing down stuff and calculating. If you were in my
position, I think you would feel the same, I don't think I'm overreacting
here...I mean, I don't want renal failure, limb amputations, loss of
erectile function when I'm 40, or any of that stuff.   Thank You for your
thoughts though.>>>

I know you're frustrated, but it will certainly take more than a week to
sort through what the problem is.  It may not be fun, but once you've
figured it out, it really does make life SOOOOO much easier.  I started
pumping when I was 21 during my senior year of college (during finals no
less!)  It was very rough at first, and the very first time I went out to
eat at a restaurant with it, I ended up spending the entire night throwing
up from lack of insulin.  These things happen to almost everyone when they
start, but after 6 months (or less), almost everyone feels that the pump
would need to be pried out of their cold, dead hands before they'd give it
up.  The pump is really an amazing piece of equipment and it can do things
that you couldn't even dream of doing with injections.

I do have a few suggestions with what could be going wrong.  It definitely
sounds like you might not be getting the insulin delivered appropriately
from the pump (if similar amounts of insulin from a shot worked to bring
down your BG).  However, this is most likely not an issue with the pump at
all, but with an infusion set that just doesn't work for you.  They make
several different types/styles of infusion sets because not everyone is the
same.  MM most likely started you off with the Quick-sets because they're
pretty simple to use and they are the most commonly used sets by adults
using their pumps--but that doesn't mean they work for everyone.  A lot of
other people have nothing but trouble with them.  They can kink or fold when
inserted, and in addition, the disconnect can become disconnected on its own
and cause insulin to not be delivered properly.  If you are inserting them
with the Serter, try to insert them manually once or twice, or try with the
serter if you have been inserting manually.

Also, before you give up pumping all together, contact MM and ask them to
send you samples of all of their sets in all of the lengths that they come
in.  I would suggest at first trying the Silhouettes and the Quick-Sets in
both the short and long lengths.  If those don't work, then you can try the
Sof-Sets, the Sure-T straight in metal sets or the Polyfin angled metal
sets.  Just by trying those out, you may find a world of difference in what
your BG does when you give a bolus.  You should also try inserting sets in
different places on your body.  The stomach, the upper butt, the
love-handles, etc are all good places to try, but they are also not the only
places.  You may find that you need to give a certain part of your body a
rest or even that a certain part of your body just doesn't work with a
certain set (I can't use Silhouettes in my stomach because they don't stay
in very well, and I can't use Quick-Sets in my hips because they kink).

Personally, I have tried all of the longer length sets except for the
polyfin angled metal set, and I prefer the Silhouette the best.  The Sof-Set
doesn't work super well for me (I got lots of no-delivery alarms) and the
Sure-T is too short to stay in my body except for two spots (it only comes
in the short lenght and it just falls out of me on its own).  I used the
Sof-Set for years because I thought it was my only option because I was told
that the Silhouettes were only for very skinny people (before the Quick-Sets
came out).  Years later I found out this was not true at all, because I am
not skinny, and the Silhouettes work great for me.

It's very difficult to nail down what the problem is when you've only been
pumping for a week, because as everyone else has said, there are so many
things that need to be set up properly for everything else to work.  If the
infusion set you are using just doesn't work for your body, you're never
going to be able to see if your basals and boluses are correct.  That
doesn't mean there is anything at all wrong with the pump.

The other thing I would recommend is trying to eat meals that are very
straightforward and easy to calculate while you are getting everything set
up.  The meals that you have mentioned could very well be part of the
problem.  I find that restaurant food is notorious for having "hidden" carbs
all over the place and if you run high after a meal, you never know if it
was a problem with your settings, or a problem with the meal.  This will not
last forever (maybe a few weeks), but restaurant food is so bad for
guestimating carb counts, especially early on.  The biggest reason for this
I think is that it is exceptionally high in both fat and protein, which can
both affect BG when consumed in large amounts.  Even now (I've been pumping
for over 6 years), when I go out to eat, after I calculate the carb count I
often double the recommended bolus.  Many times I still go high after that.
But the pump makes eating out so much easier because I can check my BG 2
hours after a meal like that and know if I did OK or not, and can fix it
very quickly if I messed up.  I couldn't do that very easily while on shots,
and I certainly couldn't program a square wave bolus for meals that take a
while to digest (steak and pizza are two meals that I just couldn't eat
before I started pumping for that very reason).  Therefore, for the first
couple of weeks, go boring with your diet and eat lots of home-cooked or
pre-packaged simple meals that are very easy to calculate the carb count of
(avoid pasta, pizza, and very high fat/protein meals at first at all
costs!).  Once you get everything stabilized, then you can experiment with
these new foods and after a few months, you should be very experienced with
what you need to do to eat these foods.  It's not an overnight thing, but
it's well worth the time you invest in it.

Best of Luck!

Sarah, dx'92, pumping'00