Re: [IP] pride (or at least acceptance)

 I forgot to add to my post about this topic.. This incident still did not stop
me from doing what I had to do to take care of myself or my diabetes.
 End of Aug 2000. Was walking home (after dark.. about 11 pm), I stopped to do a
bg, realized that I needed a injection.. well wrong place and wrong time. Cops
were taking a drive by at that time. I had a syringe in one hand and a vial of
insulin in the others.. the cops told me to drop it, and I refused, and they
kept at it for about a min or two and I subsequently refusing to do so. The
syringe was slammed out of my hand very forcibly. I was dragged off to jail for
3 days, and ended up in ICU in DKA.
 When I got out, I had a summons to court for I was being charged with drug
possession and malicious littering.
 I talked to Cindy Benton of the Southern Willamette Valley area of the American
Diabetes Association (whom I have known for over 13 years), and she contacted a
discrimination attorney that does pro bono work for them.. Well charges were
dropped and a policy was implemented that if the City of Springfield police see
someone injecting and they say it is insulin, to verify with the vial or penfill
that it is insulin.
 Even though I have had bad experiences, it has never stopped me from doing what
I needed to do for my diabetes care.

R. Leppanen