  From: email @ redacted<mailto:email @ redacted>
  To: email @ redacted<mailto:email @ redacted>
  Sent: Sunday, July 23, 2006 10:35 AM
  Subject: Re: [IP] Almost a week with this pump.

  In a message dated 7/23/2006 12:53:04 AM Central Standard Time,
  email @ redacted<mailto:email @ redacted> writes:

  I am 20  years old, and just started using a Medtronic Minimed Paradigm
last
  Monday.  I got the pump because I was having many lows. I have had an avg.
of
   7.0
  a1c's since I was diagnosed at 11, I was hoping to get a 6.0 avg during  my
  20's
  in the hopes of avoiding complications. So far this P.O.S. has not  proven
  worthy
  to me and right now wish I could send it back and get a  refund. I know this
  is
  not possible, but I ate a meal for dinner today and  my eveing time insulin
  was
  321. Using 14 units of humalog, my blood sugar  would have most likely ended
  up
  in the 80-120 range. I know that this meal  could not have been more 90
grams
  worth of carbs. It was a gyro sandwhich,  side of homous and a piece of
pita
  bread. This pump sucks, I am horrified  that this thing cost $6,000 ($950
out
  of
  pocket). My blood sugar has been  hell since I started using it.
  If anyone has any thoughts, or can  help, I would like to hear it.

  It took me about a month to get myself regulated when I first got my pump
   back in 2001. Literally it was as if I had gotten rediagnosed with diabetes
all
  over again. I did not have enough patience at the time - I was 25 with 2
   small children. Give yourself at least a month and then figure out which
way
  you
  want  to go with your pump. I don't ever want to give up my pump - I need it
  to feel  good!! You will eventually feel the change in yourself.

  Over this past week my pump died and I needed to get another one. It took
   more time than they expected due to bad weather - gratefully I am hooked up
and
  feel well again. It will become a great part of your life, you just have to
  let  it work for you....

  Debbie
  Pumping since 04-01, diabetic since '89