  From: Nancy Gregor<mailto:email @ redacted>
  To: email @ redacted<mailto:email @ redacted>
  Sent: Sunday, July 23, 2006 4:22 PM
  Subject: Re: [IP] pride (or at least acceptance)

   I heartily agree with you Gary and also with Antonio. I'd be more than
happy to
  help participate in something to my friends during diabetes awareness about
  insulin dependant diabetes and wearing a pump.
    Nancy

  Gary Marcus <email @ redacted<mailto:email @ redacted>> wrote:

  First, I want to know how many points I get for resisting comments on the
  political banter; I've signed up for the spirit list and I will post my
  opinion there.

  I've been diabetic for 26+ years. I've been wearing a Paradigm 515 for a
  year and a half. My only regret is that I didn't learn about pumps 20 years
  ago. Since becoming a pumper I have looked for others out there in the real
  world. I have only seen one other person wearing a pump. She was in a
  grocery store and had her tubing wrapped around her belt loops in a
  decorative sort of way. I was always very secretive about shooting up in
  public or even around friends. I've been much more open with the pump. It
  makes me wonder, why are people so secretive? I would like to propose a
  national "coming out day". I can say that I'm proud to have taken such a
  positive step in diabetes management; for those who are less than proud, at
  least they can demonstrate acceptance that they have a disease and are doing
  their best to control it. Wouldn't it be great to choose a day to increase
  awareness about insulin pumping both for diabetics who aren't yet pumping as
  well as for non-diabetics who might get some misconceptions cleared up? How
  many people would wear their pump on the outside of their clothing just for
  the day? Wouldn't you like to find out who else you come in contact with is
  a pumper? We've all joined this list for the support it offers. We might
  inspire some non-pumping diabetics to improve their control.

  Would there be support for a national (or international) pumper pride day?
  I'd love to see someone I don't know with a pump and flash him or her a
  glance at mine!

  Gary (in Oakland, California)

    Friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have
trouble
  remembering how to fly.
    Nancy

    http://friendsarequietangels.blogspot.com/<http://friendsarequietangels.b