Re: [IP] 508 meltdown

This is so stupid. They just don't let it go.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Peg Oberg
  To: email @ redacted
  Sent: Sunday, July 23, 2006 10:12 AM
  Subject: [IP] 508 meltdown

  Ricardo wrote:
  Like most other engineered systems with moving parts, I am sure the pump
  manufacturers have calculated MTBF (Mean Time Before Failure) for their
  products. in addition to their track record, the insurers for the pump
  manufacturers probably take the MTBF into account when calculating premiums
  to protect the pump manufacturer against liability suits. I can buy an
  insurance policy for my 15 year old SUV or 17 year old clothes dryer, but
  the premiums would be outrageous because the insurers know the chance of
  failure is very high. The cost of premiums for pumps probably starts to
  increase disproportionately after the 4th year, so some legal team
somewhere
  has calculated that it makes good business sense to warrant them for only 4
  years.
  Assuming the chance of pump failure increases with time and use, no company
  wants the legal liability nor the bad press associated with a pump failure
  that leads to the death of the user. I also suspect the legal and FDA
  consequences would differ for failures outside the
  warranty period. Although many pumps last much longer than 4 years, the 4
  year pump warranty is probably some calculated balance point between low
  chance of pump failure versus cost of premiums versus legal exposure. If
you
  want to continue using a working pump past the 4 year mark is a personal
  decision. You may want to explore what your  rights are in your state for
  products outside of the warranty period.

  Thanks Ricardo!! Very informative explanation!! Any suggestions on HOW I
  explore my rights through the state?