Re: [IP] Almost a week with this pump.

In a message dated 7/23/2006 12:53:04 AM Central Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

I am 20  years old, and just started using a Medtronic Minimed Paradigm last
Monday.  I got the pump because I was having many lows. I have had an avg. of
 7.0
a1c's since I was diagnosed at 11, I was hoping to get a 6.0 avg during  my
20's
in the hopes of avoiding complications. So far this P.O.S. has not  proven
worthy
to me and right now wish I could send it back and get a  refund. I know this
is
not possible, but I ate a meal for dinner today and  my eveing time insulin
was
321. Using 14 units of humalog, my blood sugar  would have most likely ended
up
in the 80-120 range. I know that this meal  could not have been more 90 grams
worth of carbs. It was a gyro sandwhich,  side of homous and a piece of pita
bread. This pump sucks, I am horrified  that this thing cost $6,000 ($950 out
of
pocket). My blood sugar has been  hell since I started using it.
If anyone has any thoughts, or can  help, I would like to hear it.

It took me about a month to get myself regulated when I first got my pump
 back in 2001. Literally it was as if I had gotten rediagnosed with diabetes all
over again. I did not have enough patience at the time - I was 25 with 2
 small children. Give yourself at least a month and then figure out which way
you
want  to go with your pump. I don't ever want to give up my pump - I need it
to feel  good!! You will eventually feel the change in yourself.

Over this past week my pump died and I needed to get another one. It took
 more time than they expected due to bad weather - gratefully I am hooked up and
feel well again. It will become a great part of your life, you just have to
let  it work for you....

Debbie
Pumping since 04-01, diabetic since '89