Re: [IP] Stem Cell comment

In a message dated 07/19/2006 4:11:40 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:
SJC

I do not find the issue of Stem Cell Research either political or religious,
but technical.

I have been a Type I 51 of my 55 years.  I have been discriminated against
time and time again.  Coming out of college I couldn't even get an
engineering job because of my diabetes. I can't buy most types of insurance,
I have numerous complications and I come to this board to learn and help
others not have to go through what I went through.

That said I don't find the stem cell debate any more inflammatory than the
debate about 4 vrs 5 grams glucose tablets, how to handle pizza, inhaled
insulin or any other subject.  We as a group need all the help we can get.
Stem cell research offers hope.  Hope is all we've got. Why should one group
be able to take hope away from others. If a cure is found from stem cell
research than perhaps they will choose not to use it.  The recent human
insulin analogs are all based on Recombinant DNA technology for it's
synthesis. Using the same arguments against it that are being applied to
Stem Cell research, we might not even have the fast acting Insulin analogs.

Not discussing Stem Cell research on this site would greatly diminish the
value of this site.

Just my opinions,

Andy
Andy
I should not respond, but here I am typing. RoseLea has posted at least 3 or
4 times to stop this before it starts. I have been a member of this list from
the late 1990s. I have seen some real large fights on this subject. If my time
on the list does not impress you I have been diabetic for almost 60 years and
I have heard the 5 year cure for over 50 years. I am not sure I am for or
against this research, so listen to and old timer join the spirit list
Roger C