From: Margo Hupe [mailto:email @ redacted]
Sent: Wednesday, July 19, 2006 7:50 AM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: [IP] Inhaled Insulin

 From Exubera fact sheets:

Important Safety Information  Exubera is a prescription medicine that
contains insulin powder that is breathed in (inhaled) through the
mouth using the Exubera. Inhaler.  It is used to treat adults with
diabetes.  It helps to control high blood  sugar.    Patients should
not take Exubera if they smoke or have stopped smoking less than six
months prior to  starting Exubera treatment.  If a patient starts
smoking or resumes smoking, he or she must stop using  Exubera and see
a health care provider about a different treatment.    Exubera may
affect lung function so patients need to have their lungs tested before
starting Exubera, and  later during treatment, as directed by a health
care provider.   Exubera is not recommended for people that  have
chronic lung disease (such as asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary
disease or emphysema).  Also,  Exubera should not be used at all by
people with unstable or poorly controlled lung disease.      As with
all forms of insulin, a possible side effect of Exubera is low blood
sugar levels, which is why it is  important to check blood sugar as
advised by a health care provider.     Like all medicines, Exubera can
cause side effects.  Exubera may cause a cough, dry mouth, or chest
discomfort.  These are not all the side effects that can happen with
Exubera.  Ask a health care provider or  pharmacist for more
information.
***
http://www.diabetesuffolk.com/Managing%20Diabetes/Insulin%20Exubera.asp
What doses will be available?

Exubera is supplied in unit dose blisters containing 1 mg and 3 mg of
human insulin.  The recommended starting dose is based on this formula:

Body weight (kg) x 0.15 mg/kg = total daily dose in mg

The total daily dose is then divided into three pre-meal doses.

1 mg of Exubera is equivalent to 3 IU of human insulin injected
subcutaneously (sc).

3 mg of Exubera is equivalent to 8 IU of human insulin sc.

The dosing is complex and 3 of the 1mg blisters does not equate to a 3
mg dose.

I also believe that just because you inhale, say, 3 units of insulin,
that you don't necessarily get 3 units.....depending on various
factors. Maybe someone can find that information as I have to
leave....but I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere. Meanwhile, I won't
even say what I think about inhaled insulin....

Margo