[IP] how does your doctor write prescriptions?

I brought in a new prescription for Humalog to the pharmacy
today.  My doctor (PCP) wrote for 2 vials and also wrote (for some
reason) "50 units daily".  She has always insisted that she has to
write a dosage on the prescriptions.

So I go to pick it up, only 1 vial.  The pharmacist says that's all
they will pay for, which I know is not true.  She puts it through
again, 2 vials, and the co-pay is double.  I tell her again that's
wrong and she says I have to call Caremark to find out, because 2
vials at 50u/day is a 40 day supply.  I call Caremark and the woman
there tells me to tell them to just enter it as a 30 day supply and
to ignore the doctor's dosing instruction.  The pharmacist refuses to
do that, so I took it back.

I asked the woman at Caremark if they would give me 2 vials even if
my doctor wrote 50u/day and she said they would.  She said I would
get 6 vials, a 3 months supply.

I see my CDE on Monday so I can get a new prescription then but these
pharacy problems I've been having are really annoying and put me in a
foul mood.  Another pharmacist at the same store took it upon himself
in May to cut my strip script down to 200 without even attempting to
put it through for the full amount (which I get every month, 300, no
problems).

How does your doctor write insulin scripts?  Do they put a specific
dose down, which of course is impossible to know?  I don't know if I
should have my CDE write a new script for 2 vials and put 70u/day,
put down "as instructed" or if I should just have her write for a 3
months supply and send it to Caremark.  I have my prescriptions
delivered to my job so I'm not really worried about a package being
left outside all day.  I'm just tired of dealing with the
pharmacists, who insist they have to enter it one way when the actual
benefits provider says they don't have to.

--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987